Basic Security Meltcheesedec Security Configuration 2018

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Would anyone like to comment on the following changes I made to my config before having posted this new thread:

01)
changed
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) Free
- MCShield
- WinPatrol

to
- AppGuard Personal

[which in turn gave me confidence to perform subsequent changes 02) and 03)...]

Last edited:

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
f.lux is integrated in Windows. You can activate it in the notification bar but it isn't so automatic like f.lux. This function has my monitor so I have it always on.
Great and light config!

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Who thinks I should ditch KeyScrambler? This product is low in my priority list of layered config.

Who thinks I should replace TrafficLight with an alternate solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SHvFl

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Would anyone like to comment on the following changes I made to my config before having posted this new thread:
03)
changed
- Avast Antivirus Free

to
- Windows Defender

Avast has a BB and better signatures - Defender not.

Who thinks I should ditch KeyScrambler?
You bought the Pro version and KeyScrambler consumes anyway not much resources. I would let it.

@up Please use the edit function. One Question != one post!

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
f.lux is integrated in Windows. You can activate it in the notification bar but it isn't so automatic like f.lux. This function has my monitor so I have it always on.

I had no idea, @askalan . Thanks much for this important info :). Can you please post a link to documentation for this functionality?

Great and light config!
Thanks much :).

Who thinks I should consider Netcraft?

[continued...]
02)
changed
- TinyWall

to
- Windows Firewall

[continued...]
03)
changed
- Avast Antivirus Free

to
- Windows Defender

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
@meltcheesedec Please use the edit function. One Question != one post!
I had no idea, @askalan . Thanks much for this important info :). Can you please post a link to documentation for this functionality?
Thanks much :).

iWb13N9.png
[continued...]
03)
changed
- Avast Antivirus Free

to
- Windows Defender
Avast has a behavior blocker and better signatures. - Defender a better Windows 10 integration.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Thank you, @askalan . I put on my to-do list to investigate whether Windows 10 "Night Light" is a suitable replacement for f.lux.

Who thinks I should replace Secunia PSI with a different application update solution?

D

Deleted member 178

Who thinks I should ditch KeyScrambler? This product is low in my priority list of layered config.
You should keep it. still useful.

[
Avast has a behavior blocker and better signatures. - Defender a better Windows 10 integration.
But Avast is no longer needed if Appgaurd is properly set and the system locked-down then WinDef is enough.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you, @askalanWho thinks I should replace Secunia PSI with a different application update solution?

My first solution:
I go to Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once and tick all my software I installed on my system. Then I run it and Ninite updates all the ticked programs if I have them already installed. This little program you can put in to the start-up.

Second solution (if Ninite doesn't have the program in the pool):
You can test Download Patch My PC Updater It is portable, simple to use and is for me the best solution that covers all of my software on my system.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I might consider a using a 3rd party system imaging software such as Macrium Reflect which has a good free version.
I might also consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
My first solution:
I go to Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once and tick all my software I installed on my system. Then I run it and Ninite updates all the ticked programs if I have them already installed. This little program you can put in to the start-up.

Second solution (if Ninite doesn't have the program in the pool):
You can test Download Patch My PC Updater It is portable, simple to use and is for me the best solution that covers all of my software on my system.

Thank you, @askalan :). Based on your advice I:
- researched and tested a few software updaters
- added Patch My PC to my security configuration (alongside of Secunia PSI)

I am very impressed by Patch My PC.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
I might consider a using a 3rd party system imaging software such as Macrium Reflect which has a good free version.
I might also consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thank you, @Exterminator :). Based on your advice I:
- researched and tested 3rd party system imaging apps
- added Macrium Reflect Free and Macrium viBoot to my my security configuration

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.