Memory,CPU and I/0 Usage while running a full scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
I mentioned I would show a screen shot to Jack so here it is. This is a full scan with EVERYTHING enabled and on high. I have run full scans with KIS and NIS and not been able to really use my pc without slow downs. Avast is still running a full scan but yet I have no slow downs as I use my pc. Also look at my cpu monitor in the top right corner.

qq27gg.png

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
You can improve avast's scan speed and resource usage by enabling the usage of persistent cache in the settings for that specific scan. You can also adjust a scan's priority if needed.
[attachment=156][attachment=157]
Edit: Yes, I know it is not a new feature and the adjustments might not even be needed since avast scans pretty fast with default settings. It just shows that the authors care about resource usage.

Attachments

• Image 026.png
    Image 026.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 585
  • Image 027.png
    Image 027.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 577

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This has been present since version 5 was released.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Bogdan I am full aware of those settings. Hence the reason I said "EVERYTHING" was enabled and on high. Also here are the scan times for a full scan:

Avast = 25 minutes
NIS = 1.5 hours
KIS = 2 hours

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
What scan performance profile did you use in NIS? High trust will greatly reduce scan time

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Standard trust which is the default. High trust just elimates scanning of known trusted files but I do not like that cause a known trusted file can become infected.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Is this worth talking about this?....most modern security software have now a feature that will start a scan automatically when your computer is on "Idle"..........and you can also setup the Ram Usage that you want to "give away" for scaning when not in Idle Mode............

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
You asked Jack. So you got it. Shouldn't have asked if you didn't want to know. Thanks. Your exact words Jack.

To Avast : Can we please see the "CPU Usage Increase When scaning" ... ?Big Grin

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Yep.:p ..thank you for taking your time...... and sharing this info. It would be nice to see a chart with all the major security products in an official test ....anyway :
Since I've upgraded to 3 GB RAM on my testing PC ..I really don't care or monitor the resource usage on my system........And because I'm alaways changing the real-time security on my PC..I never manage to run a scan with that product...IF by any chance I do system scan MBAM and Hitman Pro are my main "weapons"....and because each only take about 3 min.....I don't have the time or the mod to monitor the RAM usage:D

How many scans do you run with Avast in a week?:D

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
One quick and one full a week. Thats all. The only PAID product that I know of that runs a scan at idle is NIS. I dont know of many FREE solutions that run a scan at idle.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
One quick and one full a week. Thats all. The only PAID product that I know of that runs a scan at idle is NIS. I dont know of many FREE solutions that run a scan at idle.
THeir is also KIS who can scan in idle.....also AVG will do it for FREE :D ....I'm sure their are others...Like I've said this subjects dosen't seem to important to me ...so I never paid attention :p

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
KIS does only a quick scan at idle. Full scans must be enabled and scheduled. Actually I believe its a rootkit scan only or start up scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.