Status
Not open for further replies.

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Hello

I have been trying Emsisoft AM for a few weeks in VB and have allocated 4 gig memory to the VM.
I am seeing a high memory usage on my machine. 260 MB.
Is this common?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 21 13.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 21 13.36.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 379

People will bitch that a security soft uses hundreds of MB of RAM while at the same time use a browser that easily consumes 1+ GB of RAM.

I've seen EAM use up to 650 MB RAM and it can go higher dependent upon what is being done on the system.

A security soft's physical memory usage is relevant only if installed on obsolete hardware - which is anything with less than 6 GB RAM these days.

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
People will bitch that a security soft uses hundreds of MB of RAM while at the same time use a browser that easily consumes 1+ GB of RAM.

I've seen EAM use up to 650 MB RAM dependent upon what is being done on the system.

A security soft's physical memory usage is relevant only if installed on obsolete hardware - which is anything with less than 6 GB RAM these days.
I was not bitching my friend. I was only asking and I also notice Edge uses a lot. Remember I mentioned it is a VM on a 16 gig system. My system is more then enough for the latest insider builds. I didn't think I needed to create more then a 4 gig VM but I can always do that too. I am not bashing any software here.

I was not bitching my friend. I was only asking and I also notice Edge uses a lot. Remember I mentioned it is a VM on a 16 gig system. My system is more then enough for the latest insider builds. I didn't think I needed to create more then a 4 gig VM but I can always do that too. I am not bashing any software here.

I didn't say you specifically were bitching. My commentary was just an observation of general attitude that I see from the average security forum member across multiple forums.

These posts are not normal human conversations and consequently there are tons of misunderstandings.

Edge is a RAM hog so that Microsoft can claim it is fastest browser - sort of like "North Korea is best Korea."

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
It uses from 60-300Mb from what i saw depending on what it's doing. If you are really worried about big numbers go in settings-general and activate memory usage optimization.
ZDx1rzO.png
Hum, :unsure:
I'm not sure if "activate memory usage optimization" is a good tweak or not for me. Is it neutral for protection ?
I have 32 Go of RAM and 8 Go of RAM.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Hum, :unsure:
I'm not sure if "activate memory usage optimization" is a good tweak or not for me. Is it neutral for protection ?
I have 32 Go of RAM and 8 Go of RAM.
You don't need it with 32gb of ram. Doubt you even need it with 8gb of ram. It's mostly useful for 4gb systems so you have no reason to enable it.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
-----------------fast internet

more ram ------------------------ fast disk/good CPU

This is my security/performance triangle

Emsisoft consumes ram but you do not have to wait for opening a program (it do not slowdown your disk because the signatures are loaded in ram) and for loading a web page.
Zemana needs internet because it is cloud based. But it will not consume so much ram/disk/CPU like Emsisoft.
Defender needs a fast disk/CPU. But if you have a fast disk and a good CPU you will not notice it. It will not slowdown you during loading web pages and it will not consume so much ram. ;)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
8gb is enough.. I have tons of software running all the time and I always have some free memory and that includes a SQL server... Of course if you're running multiple VMs or 3d rendering software you will need more memory.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
8 GB of RAM is more than enough, at least for now. I have 8 GB of RAM on my laptop and RAM usage is always around 3 GB (2,9 GB at the moment with Chrome). Maximum RAM usage I had was around 4 or 5 GB so 8 GB is enough for me. I remember when I had PC with 512 MB of RAM few years ago, that was the torture... :LOL:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
8Gb on windows 10 is enough to play heavy games ONLY if we have pagefile enabled
on W10 with everything disabled (+ disabled all AVs + game booster) and pagefile set at 0 -> while playing FIFA 18 at lowest settings, I always got low memory alert and BSODs minutes after -> it means 8Gb itself is not enough, the system is still trying to use some virtual memory to compensate the lack of memory while playing heavy games

I don't like pagefile because it significantly increases disk spinning and slows down my laptop by x1.5

in most other tasks, 8Gb RAM is more than enough

it's better to have 10-12Gb RAM to play games without the need of pagefile swapping. An AV using too much RAM like emsisoft with or without memory optimization is not ideal on 8Gb RAM gaming machines because pagefile swapping will reduce the life expectancy of SSD/HDD

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
8Gb on windows 10 is enough to play heavy games ONLY if we have pagefile enabled
on W10 with everything disabled (+ disabled all AVs + game booster) and pagefile set at 0 -> while playing FIFA 18 at lowest settings, I always got low memory alert and BSODs minutes after -> it means 8Gb itself is not enough, the system is still trying to use some virtual memory to compensate the lack of memory while playing heavy games

I don't like pagefile because it significantly increases disk spinning and slows down my laptop by x1.5

in most other tasks, 8Gb RAM is more than enough

it's better to have 10-12Gb RAM to play games without the need of pagefile swapping. An AV using too much RAM like emsisoft with or without memory optimization is not ideal on 8Gb RAM gaming machines because pagefile swapping will reduce the life expectancy of SSD/HDD
SSD lifetime is longer than their relevancy will be, for the average user, so it doesn't really matter if pagefile is used or not used. I only disable page file on hdd systems because it makes them slow but i never did it on ssd systems.

P

plat1098

Hey @boredog, here's a little something from the Emsisoft support forum, maybe there's more:

Is this RAM using normal?

As an example, here's a snip showing all the Emsi services plus open Internet Explorer, which still tends to leak a little. Not exactly proportionate, right?--and tons of variation among users. On here is 8GB cheapo 15-15--15-36 dual channel DDR4-2134 MHz but with a 3.4 GHz CPU, SSD and non-virtual environment--efficient and stable when there's higher memory demand. Would you consider posting this in the Emsi support forum? :cool:

emsi snip.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.