Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Find out more about Cloud Client for Windows - Free Malware Analysis Tool

Find out more about extension for Chrome - Secure Online Downloading
A fast, light, and effective security browser extension that scans each in-browser download for malicious code and vulnerabilities. Scan before you download!
How to Use on Chrome

Metadefender Cloud Client is the most thorough free malware analysis tool available. By running data through Metadefender Cloud, Cloud Client performs a deep endpoint forensic analysis for malware using several unique methods. Look for threats and assess the security state of your endpoint if you think it may be compromised.

Methods:
Memory Module Multi-Scanning
Running over 40 anti-malware engines that use heuristic detection, Metadefender Cloud Client analyzes all running processes and loaded memory modules. It performs a deep scan, analyzing the DLLs accessed by these processes for malware as well. This results in a deeper analysis than that of other free tools like Process Explorer or VirusTotal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Discovered via TheWindowsClub: Link 1 | Link 2
The rise in the variety of malware calls for desperate measures. Well, the measures may not exactly be desperate, but they can be effective ones. Last time around we had taken a look at Metadefender Cloud and Metadefender Endpoint. This time around we will talk about the Metadefender Cloud Client which is a rather nifty tool to facilitate multi-scanning of endpoints for viruses, keyloggers and also other malware.

The client is tailor made to quickly scan endpoints right before a web or server login and can also be scheduled for regular checkups. This free tool can also be used in conjunction with a local anti-malware tool.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@TheMalwareMaster The difference between VirusTotal and Metadefender when comparing the Chrome extension or Windows Client?

Here's a scan result for uTorrent.exe | Metadefender Cloud Results

Metadefender Chrome.gif

OMG! An Ad, I've been malvertised.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
A nice program; I'm adding it to the on-demand toolbox.

They really should drop (or provide an option to exclude) the engines that flag Microsoft Visual C libraries and Microsoft Office and .NET and Windows shell as trojans; that's, like, not even trying!

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
@TheMalwareMaster The difference between VirusTotal and Metadefender when comparing the Chrome extension or Windows Client?

Here's a scan result for uTorrent.exe | Metadefender Cloud Results

View attachment 138635
OMG! An Ad, I've been malvertised.
I was meaning the difference between the two websites,and why Metadefender says it makes a deeper analysis than VirusTotal
This results in a deeper analysis than that of other free tools like Process Explorer or VirusTotal.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was meaning the difference between the two websites,and why Metadefender says it makes a deeper analysis than VirusTotal
It's the first time I have used Metadefender, what you quoted was from their website.

You need to use the Client software to see the difference, the website displays the information from their back-end systems (Core Technology).
Metadefender Core

Maybe @Umbra @Lockdown can provide a better insight, since they are more knowledgeable.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's the first time I have used Metadefender, what you quoted was from their website.

You need to use the Client software to see the difference, the website displays the information from their back-end systems (Core Technology).
Metadefender Core

Maybe @Umbra @Lockdown can provide a better insight, since they are more knowledgeable.

I'm using the Chrome extension for my Chrome/Slimjet browsers. Too bad it's not supported in Opera and Cent browsers. Cent browser requires an API key.

Can tell whether it scans the download file automatically using the Cloud Client for Windows or needs to drag-and-drop to scan?

Also, does it scan files when using a download manager? If I'm not wrong the Chrome extension doesn't scan files downloaded using a download manager.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

VT just scan files and urls
Metadefender client scan the memory , files, IPs, your AV logs (if any), etc...of your system.

So the analysis is deeper. Now i can't tell yet about the core mechanism but FPs are expected with such a number of engines.

The client is portable and needs admin rights when executed.

Reactions: BugCode and RXZ6Q

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Just tested my main PC with 4tb external drive plugged in and make a scan. It took about 1 hour and 20minutes. Pretty interesting for sure & as Umbra said FPs i ques was, when tested the few files what it find suspicious/malicious. Yes it make a deep test indeed like potentially harmful IP callbacks! Well here's 1 example what it found malicious! Actually own duplicate file :d Here's some pics what i took for that: 1 image is meta-defender one engine what found actually few other files too malicious, it is old-school CHINESE antivirus twister for filseclab! => Best Anti-virus, Anti-malware, Firewall, Free download | Filseclab . I tested same file with VThash and its here in side by side =>
dfb5bd0d53.png

dfb98611a1.png

So, overall bit deeper but thought as much FPs!!

Roger out.

- BC

Reactions: mal1

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Just tested my main PC with 4tb external drive plugged in and make a scan. It took about 1 hour and 20minutes. Pretty interesting for sure & as Umbra said FPs i ques was, when tested the few files what it find suspicious/malicious. Yes it make a deep test indeed like potentially harmful IP callbacks! Well here's 1 example what it found malicious! Actually own duplicate file :d Here's some pics what i took for that: 1 image is meta-defender one engine what found actually few other files too malicious, it is old-school CHINESE antivirus twister for filseclab! => Best Anti-virus, Anti-malware, Firewall, Free download | Filseclab . I tested same file with VThash and its here in side by side =>
dfb5bd0d53.png

dfb98611a1.png

So, overall bit deeper but thought as much FPs!!

Roger out.

- BC
Filseclab makes... Twister antivirus. Anyone else heard of it? Any testing been done? It looks just a little outdated.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Like i said my post it was twister and its not active anymore or i think so, but chinese greatness!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Like i said my post it was twister and its not active anymore or i think so, but chinese greatness!
I hope it's still active seeing as they're still charging for it, or maybe they know they can get away with it because China number one! ;)

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Just run a scan. It detect 1 tmp datei from avast as virus and over 50 other, all fps. This program seems like a fps king program. never used a programm with just a high fp. Windscribe as suspicious, another vpn too and almost all programs as suspicious. It is not! recommended for novice users! they would totaly mess there system if they would delet all the detections.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
All I know is that it reports a LOT of false-positves. Like, Visual C Runtime DLLs and stupid stuff. If there were an option to ignore that engine, I would use it.
Probably for the best it's not well known then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.