MalwareHunter

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
Using large hosts file brings no reward
Only when you have 10000s of domains in your hosts file. There are only 1408 C&C domains in the CyberTracker DB actually, so it's nothing.
And it's free, not like some paid AVs which can't even protect you from VBS worms. (I'm not saying that this tool is the super ultimate protection product against VBS worms for example, but it's useful and can protect you from some threats.)

But with my host files not-so-default (blacklisting too much), my network will be slow as a turtle. But thank you, I'll make sure to refer it to every client that has a faster internet connection.
No, it won't be slow as turtle. :) There is nothing to do with internet connection speed and the domains count in the hosts file. Trust me.;)
Here is an example for you...
Code:
198.1.119.172 malwaretips.com
When you add the IP of MT to your hosts file with the domain name, it will makes things faster (and not slower). Because normally when you enter the domain name "malwaretips.com" in your browser's address bar, your system will ask your ISP's DNS server (or any DNS server you set) for the IP of "malwaretips.com". But if your system finds the IP address in your hosts file, it won't connect to any DNS server. See the point? Hosts file will not slows your internet connection speed, but it can make things faster if you add domain names (associated with the real IP addresses) of websites you visit time to time.

So long story short, you can use our hosts file tool. :)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Only when you have 10000s of domains in your hosts file. There are only 1408 C&C domains in the CyberTracker DB actually, so it's nothing.
And it's free, not like some paid AVs which can't even protect you from VBS worms. (I'm not saying that this tool is the super ultimate protection product against VBS worms for example, but it's useful and can protect you from some threats.)

No, it won't be slow as turtle. :) There is nothing to do with internet connection speed and the domains count in the hosts file. Trust me.;)
Here is an example for you...
Code:
198.1.119.172 malwaretips.com
When you add the IP of MT to your hosts file with the domain name, it will makes things faster (and not slower). Because normally when you enter the domain name "malwaretips.com" in your browser's address bar, your system will ask your ISP's DNS server (or any DNS server you set) for the IP of "malwaretips.com". But if your system finds the IP address in your hosts file, it won't connect to any DNS server. See the point? Hosts file will not slows your internet connection speed, but it can make things faster if you add domain names (associated with the real IP addresses) of websites you visit time to time.

So long story short, you can use our hosts file tool. :)
I never knew that ; I guess I should stop making theories about things I don't know ( I kind of hate networking ). But, if it does in fact, makes it faster to load, then I'll use this tool. But..I do have one question, although.
Wouldn't it try to resolve every DNS available in host-files whenever you connect a website?
Thanks. :)

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
I never knew that ; I guess I should stop making theories about things I don't know ( I kind of hate networking ).
Good idea. ;)

But, if it does in fact, makes it faster to load, then I'll use this tool. But..I do have one question, although.
No, this tool not makes load faster. This tool has been created for "protection" and not for making domain resolving faster.
It just was an example for you, to see that using hosts file can make things faster and not slower (until a point). If you really want to speed up the things a bit, you need to add the domains and the IPs to your hosts file manually.

Wouldn't it try to resolve every DNS available in host-files whenever you connect a website?
Absolutely not. Why it would do it? For example if you want to visit malwaretips.com your system will check if an IP available for malwaretips.com or not. If available, it will use that IP address. If not, it will ask your ISP's DNS server for the IP.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
What link has the C&C domains? I would like to add them to my hosts

EDIT: I guess I could use both tools for my hosts? or If I could have the link to the lists I could add it to hostsman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

What link has the C&C domains? I would like to add them to my hosts

EDIT: I guess I could use both tools for my hosts? or If I could have the link to the lists I could add it to hostsman.
There is currently no available link to the hosts of CT. Yes, using both tools should work just fine. If you, however, have issues with using both tools, mention the issue and I'll personally look into helping you myself. ;)

Reactions: MalwareHunter
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.