Microsoft: 71% of Windows 10 Creators Update PCs Use Full Telemetry Settings

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Marisa Rogers, privacy officers for Microsoft's Windows and Devices Group, says that 71% of the users who updated to the Windows 10 Creators Update in the past months have chosen to enable the "Full" diagnostics and telemetry collection settings during the upgrade process.

Her remark refers to the screen that appears before Windows 10 upgrades to the Creators Update, as pictured above.

Microsoft added the screen to the Windows 10 Creators Update upgrade process as part of a larger set of privacy protection enhancements it implemented at the behest of WP29 (Article 29 Data Protection Working Party), an EU-affiliated consumer privacy protection group.

The EU commission had warned Microsoft last year about its intrusive data collection practices.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
People are complacent as it is and as long as they're allowed to call it "diagnostics" that number is to be expected.

I wouldn't even hate on them if they didn't hide everything behind their hideous corporate speak. Tell people "Yes, we're gonna grab everything we can get our hands on and will know you better than your mother. Allow? Yes/No" and let's see which button they'll hit being aware of it. Until that happens and the settings are opt-out instead of opt-in it's all just a show.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Even to get rid of the corporate spying on consumers it's tough, Win10 by default setting is "Full".

General public, express settings and that is it. They have no idea what M$ is collecting and once they get hacked, simply delicious.

6% of American's (18-24) can't locate America on a map...North Korea probably less than 1% can locate it. That is the general public.

Having to edit registry, hosts, firewall settings, possibly 0.01% do this. Forget about the spying intelligence agencies that have run amok does on their citizens...although trolling them can be fun I suppose.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Very easy when it literally reverts telemetry settings with every damn update or when you run the troubleshooter and it reverts telemetry. I have to constantly reapply, even when my Group policy settings have it disabled.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I am not part of those 71% of users.
I also use O&O Shutup that does a good job, and it is frequently updated.
This is my personal choice, I've paid for a Windows license when I bought my PC and I do not see any reason why they earn money using my data, because in the end this is... even if they stubbornly call this thing like "statistical purpose".:rolleyes:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I am not part of those 71% of users.
I also use O&O Shutup that does a good job, and it is frequently updated.
This is my personal choice, I've paid for a Windows license when I bought my PC and I do not see any reason why they earn money using my data, because in the end this is... even if they stubbornly call this thing like "statistical purpose".:rolleyes:
The real question is, if telemetry is used for resolving bugs, why almost every Windows Update makes PCs unstable?

Someone will say "you can't make software without bugs" and I agree with that but when you look back to Windows 7/8.1, they didn't have that much bugs and affairs. I remember only few updates that made PCs unstable, not every other.

I think that telemetry is here only to make money off it, not to make Windows better. That's why I had disabled it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.