Hot Take Microsoft is nagging Windows 10 users to upgrade to Windows 11

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021

"Microsoft is displaying a full-screen pop-up on Windows 10, to prompt users to upgrade to Windows 11. This is not the first time it has employed this strategy to try and attract users to move to the newer operating system.

Microsoft is resorting to pop-ups again to tell Windows 10 users to upgrade

Windows Latest reports that Windows 10 users are being greeted by an annoying full-screen pop up (refer to the screenshot below), which highlights the free upgrade to Windows 11. The pop-up displays 4 screens, three of which highlight the improvements in Windows 11, while the last screen allows the user to continue with Windows 10."

1707372862122.png

Even those who don't have the right security chip to run 11 are getting this nagware. I am not usually one to complain but this is just....wrong.

C.H.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Greediness aside, it just reminds people that the end of life for Windows 10 is coming up soon. So their present computer may not have the pre-requisites, they might be reminded to buy one that does. It's just something to click thru and forget about. People will end up doing what their budgets allow. I don't see anything "wrong" about it. Cocacola unfailingly makes a commercial that airs every year during winter when people consume less cold drinks, they do that just to remind people that they exist. Are you saying that they;re "wrong" to suggest a cold drink during winter?

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft relaxed or dropped certain requirements to upgrade to Windows 11.

They were going to get around to it sooner than later.

Windows 11 adoption was going slower than planned.
I hope you're correct about dropping requirements, my hardware only feels middle-aged and running strong, or strong enough with win10. Not in the mood or budget to get new hardware.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.