Microsoft Accused of Making Windows 10 Impossible to Block, Company Denies

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
microsoft-accused-of-making-windows-10-impossible-to-block-company-denies-504823-2.jpg

The “forced Windows 10 upgrades” saga is back with a new episode, this time involving claims that Microsoft made the switch to the new operating system impossible to block.

And while this might not be such a big surprise for many users out there, having anupgrade to another operating system forced on your computer is actually a huge issue, especially because this could have serious consequences on PCs where work isn’t saved or backups are not available.

According to a new report by The Register, Windows 10 upgrades are now pretty much impossible to block, as users are provided with a prompt that has no cancel button. The only option they get is to reschedule the upgrade or start it immediately, and as we know, pressing the X button in the right top corner makes no difference.

Basically, this means that Microsoft removed the cancel option from the upgrade prompt, so whenever users get to see this message, the only way to continue is to actually launch the Windows 10 installer.

Microsoft denies all claims
Microsoft, on the other hand, says that all these accusations are completely false, and the aforementioned report is fake because nobody is presented with such an upgrade prompt unless they manually clicked the Windows 10 upgrade in Windows Update and accepted the EULA. This screen is what you see after doing all of these, Microsoft explains, so there’s no way you can reach this point without manually going through all the steps.

Read more: Microsoft Accused of Making Windows 10 Impossible to Block, Company Denies

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
And so the drama continues...

Until probably the following:

A. Microsoft finally learns how to promote their new OS efficiently without any tricks. Giving the user easy to understand info on the benefits of Windows 10 over their other OS, so that the user can made an inform decision regarding whether to upgrade or not.

B. The free upgrade is finished. And lots of people that initially dismissed Windows 10 due to paranoia regret not getting the free upgrade.(While I do agree that Microsoft could have done better. It also seems to me the other side is guilty of making things look worse than it actually is)

I still believe that if the majority of people gave Windows 10 a chance, they will like it. Of course, it's their decision if they want it or not.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
As long as you do not install kb3035583 you should be safe. ;)

Without doubt that particular update was the "Prince of Stinkers " , although from memory I don't
think it was the only culprit.

But I agree , folks who consistently refused it seem to have been largely untroubled by the endless MS Nagware ,
and sneaky W10 installs without the user's knowledge or consent.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I know of 2 people that awoke to Win10 installed on their machines without consent.

The Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29, 2016. These next 2 months might see even more aggressiveness from Micro$oft.

Yes , that is certainly one possible scenario , the other being that out of the goodness of their hearts ,
MS will magically extend the " free upgrade " period .

" Resistance is futile , you will be assimilated " ..... :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I know of several people who ended up with W10 by "accident" in the last couple weeks or so.
I still haven't upgraded to 10, and I don't get the constant nagging reminders either cos I killed them ages ago (thanks to a program that @frogboy found on here :cool:)
I'm still undecided whether to go 10 or stay as I am, but I will NOT be forced into unwanted upgrades!:eek:

I might be a sheep, but I still have my own mind!!:p

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
And so the drama continues...

Until probably the following:

A. Microsoft finally learns how to promote their new OS efficiently without any tricks. Giving the user easy to understand info on the benefits of Windows 10 over their other OS, so that the user can made an inform decision regarding whether to upgrade or not.

B. The free upgrade is finished. And lots of people that initially dismissed Windows 10 due to paranoia regret not getting the free upgrade.(While I do agree that Microsoft could have done better. It also seems to me the other side is guilty of making things look worse than it actually is)

I still believe that if the majority of people gave Windows 10 a chance, they will like it. Of course, it's their decision if they want it or not.
Can Windows 10 be installed without an upgrade from 7 or 8, or is this going to have to wait till this free crap is over?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Can Windows 10 be installed without an upgrade from 7 or 8, or is this going to have to wait till this free crap is over?

@marzametal You can perform clean install with ISO file but if you want to get Windows 10 for free then I suggest to upgrade it first from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. When upgrade is ready then you should have Windows 10 with activated license automatically.

After that you can perform clean install anytime and then you don't have to insert license key anymore because it is automatically activated.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think microsoft is definitely pushing for windows 10 more so than they have any other platforms previously and this can cause some users to accidentally accept the upgrade and calling it a forced upgrade. I have managed to keep my dad's and brother's computer on windows 7 up till now without them being forced to update to windows 10 so microsoft is definitely not forcing anyone to upgrade.

On the other hand I do agree that microsoft should make it a little harder to update to the new system because of the amount of people accidentally updating and not wanting the windows 10 platform. Some say that microsoft are using the same tactics as most adware and PUPs to encourage users into upgrading. Whether this is ethical or not in your book, depends on your own mindset.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
block what?

I killed the constant update reminders (got sick of getting one every few hours)
Haven't heard a peep about any updates for several months since I killed those reminders- enjoying the peace & quiet!!:cool:

The sheep with a mind of it's own:p

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think MS will nag everbody until last date to upgrade to w10m and afterwards, they would price windows 10 a little higher.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.