Microsoft Accused of Making Windows 10 Impossible to Block, Company Denies

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm using since February 2016 REG-Keys in my registry to prevent unwanted W10-updates. I'm also using this quite popular/well known software GWX control panel to check if Microsoft has changed any of my KEYs whithout my knowledge. About 2 weeks ago i also entered Registry-Keys on my W8.1-Laptop. Everything seems to work fine: this solution (REG-keys) seems to be bullet proof in my case.....

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Just install the OS if your computer can handle it. Windows 10 is one of the secured Windows OS of its kind. :)

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I haven't touched the registry, but that GWX Control Panel certainly does do the job, it's proper gagged Microsoft's attempts to coerce me into updates:cool:

Reactions: frogboy

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Great recommendation sis, and Exterminator.
I never had the nag issue because I jumped into the Insider program, I wanted to embrace what MS was offering.
I do think MS embarked on a flawed path while pushing the new OS though and has made it easy for the naysayers
to target them, MS only has themselves to blame for this, based on their inability to see this coming.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Any of the anti-Win10 folks try Never10?

GRC | Never10

Never 10 works just fine.
VERY light and fast .... it simply makes a few registry changes related to Windows Updates .... simple.
And it will instantly revert them as well , if you want ..... what's not to like ?

Trustworthy and recommended IMO :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Never 10 works just fine.
VERY light and fast .... it simply makes a few registry changes related to Windows Updates .... simple.
And it will instantly revert them as well , if you want ..... what's not to like ?

Trustworthy and recommended IMO :)
I agree Windows 10 is a fine OS for me. :)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

jackflash

Level 1
Verified
Dec 25, 2015
not sure if my old Dell will run on W10 the same goes for the software, have disabled auto updates relying on norton av at this time

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some luckily users will ignore the update of Windows 10 if their hardware specifications are not compatible.

However on the others, definitely remove the culprit of KB. The move of Microsoft even though denies the claims is not really impossible.

Nothing should be surprise but hey, be thankful. What if Windows 10 can improve your performance? Let's see. ;)

-------------------------------

The problem here is some users don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because of programs are run by cracked; so they rely on being risk.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Has group policy stopped working? Microsoft released a KB article detailing how to disable it (read it carefully. I avoided installing K3035583), disabled Automatic Updates, and read every description before installing Patch Tuesday apps.

Microsoft KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

(You need Windows 7 Pro or above to have Group Policy.) I disabled the setting through the Group Policy option, and didn't want to mess with the registry keys). Didn't have any issues until my laptop die. Watch out for the Optional Updates in specific!.

I like to check Qualys and SANS ISC to see if something is a 0-day or really critical, otherwise I wait a few days. This is just my two cents. Use you own judgment.

Qualys Blog (New post every Patch Tuesday evening or the day after).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.