Microsoft Acquires Parent Company of Bethesda Games Developer

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Excerpt from article:

"Microsoft today dropped a giant bomb on the balance of game development: the company announced the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks, and all its related IP. The purchase, which is expected to close for a tidy $7.5 billion, will carry over all ZeniMax Media subsidiaries. This includes Bethesda (The Elder Scrolls, Fallout), id Software (DOOM), Arkane Studios (Prey, Dishonored, upcoming Deathloop), MachineGames (Wolfenstein), among others.

The deal is the costliest acquisition for Microsoft (to date) in its push to increase the number of in-house development studios (up to 23 from 15 prior to this deal), and this is a huge move that shakes up the industry balance. Microsoft has announced that as part of the deal, games published by ZeniMax Media and subsidiaries (and in the future, by Microsoft) will be available on its Xbox Games Pass subscription service for Xbox and PC gaming. Microsoft is acquiring some of the most iconic gaming franchises ever with this deal, including all in-development IP. It's a huge boon for the company; it remains to be seen exactly how will this evolve over the years. But one thing is for certain: Microsoft isn't slowing down on its doubling down on game development."

Bethesda's games portfolio includes: DOOM Eternal, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the Fallout Series.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Interesting for sure, I didn't see this one coming.

The best is reading posts and comments from linux users and watching their heads explode over this. MS is dooming us all, no pun intended. MS should be sued for this.

Don't get me wrong I love linux, but man I hate the cry babies. Wake up its called business.

• Wow
Reactions: plat and mlnevese

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I wonder if the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will keep the tradition of Bethesda bugs or if they'll finally debug their code :)

Reactions: plat
L

Local Host

I wonder if the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will keep the tradition of Bethesda bugs or if they'll finally debug their code :)
I don't expect Microsoft to change much in that department, Bethesda will keep being independent in their work.

Which is a shame, Bethesda needs to drop that ancient engine and be less lazy.

Reactions: plat and mlnevese

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Satya Nadella says Microsoft isn’t done buying new game studios:
Microsoft’s latest financial investment of $7.5 billion for ZeniMax Media and all of its subsidiaries may not be the last of Microsoft’s game studio acquisitions according to CEO Satya Nadella.

In an interview with CNET, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella revealed that Microsoft’s investment in previously established game studios is far easier than building massive companies from the ground up.

“We’ll always look for places where there is that commonality of purpose, mission and culture,” Satya Nadella said. “You can’t wake up one day and say, ‘Let me build a game studio.”

With Xbox Game Pass being the product that Microsoft is focused on selling, the company’s plan is more focused on investing in already established franchises and studios with their own communities to bring on board, much like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video do.

“Content is just the incredible ingredient to our platform that we continue to invest in,” Nadella explained. “The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities.”

Despite Microsoft’s continued investment in established studios, the company has still been investing in a newly constructed development team. Xbox’s The Initiative is the company’s alleged A-Team studio consisting of numerous industry veterans from Naughty Dog, Crystal Dynamics, Bungie and more.

Microsoft’s handling of these game studios has allegedly been quite hands-off, allowing studios to continue working without disruption of management found elsewhere.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.