Microsoft anti-virus update identified Google Chrome as a trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
I have been using Chrome on my office PC for over a year. This morning, after I started up the PC, a Windows Security box popped up and said I had a Security Problem that needed to be removed. I clicked the Details button and saw that it was "PWS:Win32/Zbot". I clicked the Remove button and restarted my PC. Now I do not have Chrome. It has been removed or uninstalled. The Chrome.exe file is gone. Was there really a problem, or is this just a way for Microsoft to stick it to Google? If I reinstall Chome, will it have my bookmarks and other settings? Not sure what to do about this, but I much prefer Chrome to Explorer.

read more

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google has released instructions to restore Chrome.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/09/problems-with-microsoft-security.html

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
That's really funny :D

Yes very funny, didn't you all know about Microsoft's new strategy to get people to use Internet Explorer?
First knock out Google Chrome, next Firefox, then Opera, Safari, etc. until only IE is left.
They will be adding it to the next Malicious Malware Removal Tool update because it will effect all Windows OS, get ready. :p

Thanks.:D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I do believe that this is just a big mistake from Microsoft and not a strategy for them to win over Google because if they did that, it could be a huge feud between the two software giants.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I do believe that this is just a big mistake from Microsoft and not a strategy for them to win over Google because if they did that, it could be a huge feud between the two software giants.

Yes it was a mistake, I was just joking with my previous post, I hope nobody took it serious.:D

Thanks.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I also do believe that a joke every now and then keeps things less boring. :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
That's really funny :D

Yes very funny, didn't you all know about Microsoft's new strategy to get people to use Internet Explorer?
First knock out Google Chrome, next Firefox, then Opera, Safari, etc. until only IE is left.
They will be adding it to the next Malicious Malware Removal Tool update because it will effect all Windows OS, get ready. :p

Thanks.:D

I will just kick MSE out of my Computer if it detected Firefox :D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Laughed at the first comment on the Neowin page :)

It deleted my Chrome too then defaulted me back to IE with BING as the search engine. Then a picture of Steve Ballmer appeared with a caption that said "Now you got it right son"

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
LOL
personally, I never use IE.
always use Firefox or, i'll try chrome later.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems Microsoft (MSE) known to be least FP for such popular program so I think its just an accidentally detected.

V

Vextor

Meh, I already use Internet Explorer. SCREW CHROME :D
(by the way, if you think I'm being serious, I'm not :D :D: :D)

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I use internet explorer 9:angel:.......it works great for me........and i use safari for windows as my secondary browser:D.......however i am not a big fan of chrome browsers:p.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.