Solved Microsoft Edge will not start all of a sudden.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
On Thursday Edge was working perfectly, but now I can not seem to start Edge? When I double click on the icon Edge does not start up?

I tried restoring with a backup from a week ago with EaseUS, but that is not working either?

Solution
Some more info.
This is what needs to be done:
Edge users who are affected by the startup issue need to delete MetricsReportingEnabled keys in the Registry.

1. Open the Registry Editor: use Windows-R to open the run box, type regedit and hit the Enter-key.
  2. Confirm the UAC prompt.
  3. Select Edit > Find.
  4. Search for MetricsReportingEnabled.
  5. Delete the one or two instances of the key in the Registry.
Microsoft Edge should start normally after the keys have been deleted.
A fix will be in the next stable version:

I seems that an old (not current) version of O&O ShutUp 10 can also cause this...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Some more info.
This is what needs to be done:
Edge users who are affected by the startup issue need to delete MetricsReportingEnabled keys in the Registry.

1. Open the Registry Editor: use Windows-R to open the run box, type regedit and hit the Enter-key.
  2. Confirm the UAC prompt.
  3. Select Edit > Find.
  4. Search for MetricsReportingEnabled.
  5. Delete the one or two instances of the key in the Registry.
Microsoft Edge should start normally after the keys have been deleted.
A fix will be in the next stable version:

I seems that an old (not current) version of O&O ShutUp 10 can also cause this:

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Stumbled across this Bleepin' article.

From that article:
Another privacy tool found by BleepingComputer to create this value is PrivateZilla.

Until the next version of Microsoft Edge is released, users can remove the MetricsReportingEnabled to use the app without it affecting anything, as the policy has been deprecated since Microsoft Edge 89.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.