Microsoft Ends Windows 7 Support : What Should You Do?

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Cyber-security experts are urging Windows 7 users to upgrade their operating system. Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 7 from Tuesday so that it can focus on "newer technologies". As a result, Windows 7 users will no longer receive the all-important security updates and patches that keep their machines safe. One in four Windows users is running Windows 7, according to statistics website StatCounter.

What does this all mean?

It means that Microsoft is ending the cat-and-mouse game with hackers seeking to exploit software bugs in the Windows 7 operating system. If perpetrators find a flaw in Windows 7, Microsoft will not fix it. Without continued software and security updates, Windows 7 machines are more likely to be infected with viruses and malware, Microsoft wrote on its website. "Running an unpatched machine means that the flaws in the code will never be fixed and as exploits for those flaws become known and widespread, your chances of being successfully attacked grow very rapidly," said Rik Ferguson, vice-president of security research at Trend Micro. David Emm, a senior security researcher at Kaspersky Lab, added that people need to move to a supported operating system as soon as possible.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Any security-oriented/aware home user in his right mind will upgrade to Win10, no one would stay on a crappy and vulnerable OS renowned to be the main target and vector of so many serious large scale infections...

Now if security isn't your priority, just keep WinCrap7, enjoy its vintage design and keep installing tons of security tools just to achieve a semblance of security which Win10 offers out-of-the-box...

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
I upgraded one last laptop in our home running Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home for free last week. Windows 10 has come of age in these years and gives much better experience than when it were launched.

It's noteworthy that users in older configuration may face some performance issues. In my case that Age old HP Pavilion dv4-2113tu has only 2GB RAM, and I had to install CleanMem Pro to somewhat normalize the situation. I Plan to upgrade the RAM in future.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've upgraded 3 family / friends? PC's to 10 from 7 in the last few weeks, one also had just 2 gig of memory, after sorting startup it ran reasonably well? in the end I was able to up the memory off eBay or well under $10 - The owner had good sentimental reasons for keeping the PC & its OK now, all of them had free activation from MS - IMO no good reason to stay with 7.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Video is from 11th of March 2019, but still contains good points on what most people can and should do.
all of them had free activation from MS - IMO no good reason to stay with 7.
I fully agree with @Cortex and especially if one still now after the 14th of January can get a free upgrade.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
you don’t have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft has quietly continued the free upgrade offer for the last few years. You can still upgrade any PC with a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8 license to Windows 10.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
You may continue using it till the time most or all or some or one of your required/needed latest versions apps do not end end their support. I personally believe around 2 years, Windows 7 can be run- but just my opinion.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Reactions: Stas and upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.