Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Security Essentials no longer receives updates on Windows XP
Microsoft ended Windows XP support on April 8, 2014, but the company decided to offer anti-malware updates for its security apps running on this particular OS version for another year and a half, thus trying to keep users who were yet to upgrade protected until they complete the process.

Today, however, anti-malware support for Windows XP has come to an end too, so Microsoft’s security solutions are no longer getting updates on the 14-year-old operating system.

As a result, if you’re a Windows XP user still running Microsoft Security Essentials, you’re highly recommended to upgrade to a newer Windows version or to install a different security software solution to protect your computer. There are plenty of them still offering support for Windows XP, and the freeware versions of Avast and AVG are two of the best.

In the case of enterprises, this anti-malware support end for Windows XP concerns System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection and Microsoft Intune.

Windows XP still not secure
Despite the fact that you can still install third-party anti-malware software on Windows XP, Microsoft warns that computers running this particular OS version are still unprotected because of security holes that are no longer patched.

“While the anti-malware updates enable the ability to detect and block certain malware on Windows XP PCs, it is important to note that since the underlying vulnerability in the Windows XP operating system will not be patched with a new security update, a new strain of malware attacking the same vulnerability may not be detected in the future and may be able to infect the PC,” Microsoft says.

Windows XP still has a market share of approximately 10 percent, according to third-party data, despite the fact that it hasn’t receive a single update in the last 12 months.

Microsoft hopes that Windows 10 would help reduce Windows XP’s market share, but obviously, users still running this particular OS version would also need hardware upgrades to get a better experience in the new operating system.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No one in their right mind would use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP, and it's not because of it's average scores.

Supporters of Windows XP need to get a 21st Century reality check, so personally, I do not care IF it's the best OS of the 2000's. That era has passed and those users should either keep up or switch. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, therefore your excuses are no longer valid.

Similar to on-ground and surveillance security having been stepped up since known terrorist attacks.

Get with the times, or get out. :D:eek:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
No one in their right mind would use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP, and it's not because of it's average scores.

Supporters of Windows XP need to get a 21st Century reality check, so personally, I do not care IF it's the best OS of the 2000's. That era has passed and those users should either keep up or switch. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, therefore your excuses are no longer valid.

Similar to on-ground and surveillance security having been stepped up since known terrorist attacks.

what if someone can not afford upgrading? did you know that I'm selling computers and many people are still buying a pc with Intel Pentium 4 1.6ghz only running xp.
yep not everyone have a deep pocket.
so I would be deleting some of your message

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

who are you to tell people what to do? what if someone can not afford upgrading? did you know that I'm selling computers and many people are still buying a pc with Intel Pentium 4 1.6ghz only running xp.

@nissimezra this is @Huracan personal opinion,just as your reply is,and I don't see the need for this remark "who are you to tell people what to do?"
I wouldn't run MSE on XP either or use XP unless on a modern OS in a virtual machine.I also realize that there are some who cannot afford to upgrade to a newer PC and or OS as well as those who just don't like the newer operating systems.There are also some who run software that isn't compatible on the newer operating systems.

My point being we cannot have members making such replies to other members just because they don't agree with someones personal opinion

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's life, sometimes we need to move on to another new generation cause technology is totally fast emerging and most users wanted to cope out.

So even though MSE provides only 'baseline' protection, still became an instrument where many users used it before because of simplicity and sufficient protection consideration.

Reactions: nissimezra
S

sinu

Bad news, yet again, for those Windows users stubbornly refusing to leave XP. Microsoft might have ended support for the ancient OS back in April 2014, but it was still providing the Malicious Software Removal Tool and updates to Microsoft Security Essentials, offering a modicum of security.

However, as of this week, XP users will no longer receive those updates, leaving them exposed to more threats.

Of course anyone clinging on to XP likely won’t be too bothered by this news. They’re no doubt running some form of third-party security software and hoping for the best anyway, so Microsoft completely turning its back on them won’t make any difference.

The software giant will be hoping that Windows 10 will appeal to XP users and finally get them to switch operating systems, but as the free offer doesn’t extend to anyone not on Windows 7 or 8.x (unless they become Windows Insiders), it’s likely many of the estimated 180 million XP die-hards will stay where they are, despite the risks.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Bad news, yet again, for those Windows users stubbornly refusing to leave XP. Microsoft might have ended support for the ancient OS back in April 2014, but it was still providing the Malicious Software Removal Tool and updates to Microsoft Security Essentials, offering a modicum of security.

However, as of this week, XP users will no longer receive those updates, leaving them exposed to more threats.

Of course anyone clinging on to XP likely won’t be too bothered by this news. They’re no doubt running some form of third-party security software and hoping for the best anyway, so Microsoft completely turning its back on them won’t make any difference.

The software giant will be hoping that Windows 10 will appeal to XP users and finally get them to switch operating systems, but as the free offer doesn’t extend to anyone not on Windows 7 or 8.x (unless they become Windows Insiders), it’s likely many of the estimated 180 million XP die-hards will stay where they are, despite the risks.

While true for home users, its bollocks towards industry users. Last week i was present at the contract singing for another 5 years of full support for windows xp pro that has been installed at a payment processor company here in the Netherlands.
Changing their operating system would cost millions since all their software is custom made.
MS is trying to push companies towards new OS versions yet i know out of the top of my head at least 50 companies (Fortune 500) that will not change their XP OS because of the huge amount of money involved upgrading their custom scripts and such.
So MS can jump left right or center but they are still going to provide extended full support to those companies for as long as needed or they will suffer contract breach lawsuits, which would make the Windows 8 debacle look like a joke.

Take things with a grain of salt... MS is talking big yet most companies in Asia still running XP, same goes for Middle east and Africa, south america and notable governmental institutions around the world.
And MS as a company would come crashing down if it would lose these type of clients as right now 75% of all the OS related profits made by them is due to these contracts..and clients.

Cheers

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
How to extend Windows XP support untill April 2019
Don't forget that this only includes POS fixes and those are not intended for home users, nor will this fix any security holes related to the desktop environment or any non embedded files really.
They are also untested on non embedded systems, so good luck when something fails.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Still Window XP Embedded edition is still capable for business matters and unfortunate for that few sectors doesn't know it which they will spend millions at such case for upgrade or better yet go to Linux.

Some business companies I saw are using Linux as alternative.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
So were are talking here of ancient MSE perhaps the first version because as far as I know, MSE now works only on Vista or higher. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, MSE = XP/Vista and 7 only a revamp version for 8/8.1/10 of Windows Defender.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Checking the latest version at Softpedia MSE 4.8.204.0, here's what it says

The official, free antivirus solution from Microsoft for Windows 7 and Vista computers, which provides basic protection against malware

I have a copy of MSE downloaded last year and it works with Vista and higher only.

D

Deleted member 178

do you know how many ATM in the world are still using XP ? I don't think MS will stop their support.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
So were are talking here of ancient MSE perhaps the first version because as far as I know, MSE now works only on Vista or higher. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, MSE = XP/Vista and 7 only a revamp version for 8/8.1/10 of Windows Defender.
Checking the latest version at Softpedia MSE 4.8.204.0, here's what it says
The official, free antivirus solution from Microsoft for Windows 7 and Vista computers, which provides basic protection against malware
I have a copy of MSE downloaded last year and it works with Vista and higher only.

Yes it is only available for download on Vista & Windows now.It was not available for download on XP anymore after April 2014.However for those who still use XP and had MSE installed on their PC prior to April 2014,they were still receiving support for MSE. This is about ending the support for those who still use it on XP who had it installed prior to April 2014.Which I imagine is quite a few people.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
what if someone can not afford upgrading? did you know that I'm selling computers and many people are still buying a pc with Intel Pentium 4 1.6ghz only running xp.

Totally agree with this one.

Most PCs I repair here still uses XP and mostly those are from low spec rigs used in computer shops. If they really have deep pockets, perhaps they will go "diskless". Lot of low spec core solo laptops are sold here with XP as OS.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Just like all things in this world,those who cannot afford things get left behind.It's a shame that Microsoft could not find a way to continue supporting XP knowing that there are those who cannot afford to upgrade their PC let alone shell out $100-$200 for a new OS.If Microsoft could have found a way to avoid putting out a dud OS every other release they could have probably kept XP support in place.

D

Deleted member 178

it is why Microsoft Toolkit was created and MS "close its eyes" on pirated version in "poor" countries.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I opened a small company for recycling, IT and computers, most of the computers I'm selling come with XP, many even ask for xp because they are more comfortable with it.
some people can not afford more than 50 dollars for a computer, as sad as it sound thats the troughs and that a Canadian dollars. yep life are not easy.
I'm selling it in less than windows installation service which is around 90 dollars here. it is more for service and helping people than making money
while many people are replacing there pc others are buying it therefore I do not agree that the market of xp users are only 10% the real number is much higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.