Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
121129055900-microsoft-surface-pro-monster.jpg

The only catch is that you have to upgrade to a new Windows 8 computer.

Those who are eligible for the promotion can redeem the credit at Microsoft's online store or their retail shops -- and the fact that you still use the 13-year old Windows XP is subject to verification by Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500). The offer is good for PCs ranging in price from $599 and $2,299 and will run until June 15.

The promotion is part of Microsoft's plan to get the last remaining Windows XP users off the operating system before the April 8 end of life date. After April 8, Microsoft will no longer issue security updates to address viruses and exploits to the operating system.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Quite true, in my country there are many similiar promotions, some retail shops even selling microsoft products with a fairly cheap, although most of students waiting the free OS that they plan to release it, I think microsoft want to reduce "pirate" at this point.

As always, thanks for sharing nice article with us Ven :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Some comments from another source with this same 'Microsoft offer' news:
Microsoft wants to buy your Windows XP computer for $100, but there is a catch : http://betanews.com/2014/03/21/micr...ows-xp-computer-for-100-but-there-is-a-catch/
Gordon Gekko • 6 days ago:
Most of the people in this country can't afford a computer at that cost. I agree that a $300 would fit most people's needs. This is just a push from greedy Microsoft to push their crappy Windows 8, and further their assault in getting rid of XP.
BrianAAA • 6 days ago:
I put together a win7 machine to update my win XP hardware. All went well until I found out that several programs wouldn't work in win 7 and XP compatibility mode is not available in the home versions of win 7. I was forced to piece back together a win XP box to get these programs to run. So now I have a win7 and win XP box sitting next to each other. I have several program compatibility problems with win 7 and see no added functionality to it so I regret the investment. The "upgrade" to win 7 was kind a bust for me and had I know this I would not have bothered with it. Microsoft may want people to move past XP but the mere fact that win 7 needs an XP compatibility mode and the huge install base of XP users means that XP won't disappear as fast an MS would like.
Albin • 6 days ago:
The dealbreaker for me is W8 would require additional expense of a newer version of MS Office (and possibly other software) I currently use on XP and W7 machines. Will be replacing the XP machine but with W7.

PS.
Microsoft exec: I don't know HOW our market share sunk : http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2014/03/21/microsoft_sorgen_intelligent_devices/
Microsoft's global channel chief has struggled to find the words to explain why his company has not snared the intelligent devices market in the same way as it has done with PCs, admitting "there's work to do".
According to tech market beanie Canalys, Microsoft operating systems ran 93 per cent of traditional PC clients in 2013, but the share fell to 58 per cent when tabs were rolled into shipments.
Worse still, if you factor in all intelligent devices - notebook, slabbies and smartphones - the software firm accounts for just 22 per cent of shipments last year, down from the low 30s in '12.
Just the mobile device space and Microsoft accounted for only three per cent of the operating systems installed.
Phil Sorgen, corporate veep of the worldwide partner group, in the role since last summer, told us "in the mobile category - tablets and phones - we have work to do.
He said Microsoft continued to "innovate", and was working with application developers and OEMs that "allow us to scale lots of price points, sizes and device categories".
Past errors saw Microsoft initially missing the internet boat, and it had set sail in search and online advertising, but just how did the folk in Redmond fail to react to mobes and slabs?

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Ha..! interesting! you really now how to gathering data and resources :D
Thanks for those links, going to read it now ;).

Reactions: Venustus

looda

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 11, 2014
great article but I love w8 more than any version and its fast and more stable

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.