In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Reports are coming in from all over the Internet that Windows 10 licenses get revoked on some systems currently and that activation is not available either at the time of writing.

The most common issue that users and administrators experience right now is that the activation status of Windows 10 PCs is changed from activated to not activated. Some users reported that Windows 10 Pro product keys were suddenly turned into Windows 10 Home licenses.

windows-activation-issue.png

The notification reads:

We found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, you need to install Windows 10 Home.​
The message includes links to learn more about Windows Activation, open the Microsoft Store to purchase a genuine copy of Windows, or launch the "hardware change" process.

Attempts to activate the operating system again fail at the time. Reinstallation or the installation of backups don't fix the issue either.

Administrators who check the Event log will find Even ID 8198 listings:

EventID 8198:
License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0xC004C003​
Microsoft Support published a statement on Microsoft Answers that confirms the issue.

Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries.I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft's activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated.Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days​
Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on a fix to correct it. The company advises users to ignore activation messages for the time being. It is not necessary to do anything on the user side as the issue is server side only.

Microsoft stated that it will update the official thread on the Microsoft Answers forum when the issue is resolved. Windows 10 PCs should change the status to activated again once the issue is resolved and the notification that the license is for Windows 10 Home while Windows 10 Pro is installed should go away as well once the issue is resolved. (via Windows Latest and Born)

E

Eddie Morra

This is obviously the users fault... why on earth would Microsoft be responsible for such a mess-up? Microsoft do not make mistakes, they are one of the most powerful, influential, inspirational and admirable companies in the world right now... providing top-notch and well-tested content to millions of customers world-wide.

This was either the users fault for making configuration changes or third-party software being at the heart of blame.

/s

This is obviously the users fault... why on earth would Microsoft be responsible for such a mess-up? Microsoft do not make mistakes, they are one of the most powerful, influential, inspirational and admirable companies in the world right now... providing top-notch and well-tested content to millions of customers world-wide.

This was either the users fault for making configuration changes or third-party software being at the heart of blame.

/s

CIA\NSA did it. They hacked the activation servers and grabbed the keys so that they can hack a certain individual here. Unfortunately, they did a poor exit job.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

/s

Laughing.... exactly.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

/s
CIA\NSA did it. They hacked the activation servers and grabbed the keys so that they can hack a certain individual here. Unfortunately, they did a poor exit job.
Activation servers have problems, but the telemetry seems to work very well!

Lol. Enjoyed reading this clever answers. It seems that even the servers got fed up with M$'s bullshit. :D

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
So on Thursday’s at college is Microsoft day. I have only Microsoft courses. I have Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and also Microsoft Exchange Server 2013. So after dealing with my own problems at school all day with Microsoft issues.

I decide to fire up my laptop running Windows 10 Pro when I got home to relax and find that it is deactivated!! So I’m like oh here we go again. More Microsoft problems. I ironically just spent enough of my day fixing my Windows Server VM lab and also my Exchange Servers only to come home to more issues with Microsoft!! :mad:

I cannot stare at that “Activate Windows” watermark all day long so I’m using my MacBook Pro until Microsoft sorts itself out! :)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
So on Thursday’s at college is Microsoft day. I have only Microsoft courses. I have Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and also Microsoft Exchange Server 2013. So after dealing with my own problems at school all day with Microsoft issues.

I decide to fire up my laptop running Windows 10 Pro when I got home to relax and find that it is deactivated!! So I’m like oh here we go again. More Microsoft problems. I ironically just spent enough of my day fixing my Windows Server VM lab and also my Exchange Servers only to come home to more issues with Microsoft!! :mad::)

Microsoft in the day.

Microsoft in the evening.

Now you just need Microsoft at night. Then everything will be better.
1541724938086.png
1541724962677.png
1541724985208.png

1541725108891.png

Just get out your Windows pillows.... and get the best night sleep ever.

The End.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.