Microsoft Issues Warning For 800M Windows 10 Users

numike

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2018
Windows 10 is in a rut. The platform has been hit with multiple problems in recent weeks and partners have been making things even worse. But now an important new Windows 10 warning (and the failure behind it) falls squarely on Microsoft’s shoulders.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I don't see the big deal in this, to me this is one of those things thats being blown out of proportion to get page hits. First of all, unless you REALLY know what you are doing, one shouldn't be messing with the registry in the first place. Secondly things like reg cleaners/optimizers cause more harm than good. Thirdly and maybe I'm missing something, but if Windows is screwed up so badly that you need to restore it (due to malware, 3rd party programs, or other reasons), I don't think I've ever ran and said, ohhh let me go get my registry backup, I just reinstall Windows, it takes 10 mins. If anything this is a reason to have a system image if you need to be up and running fast, not a registry backup.

Personally I think the arguments in this article are pretty weak and is just your typically MS bashing for no reason other than getting page hits IMHO.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager" /v "EnablePeriodicBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
So why has Microsoft done this? In the company’s own words: “to help reduce the overall disk footprint size of Windows”.
To recover a system with a corrupt registry hive, Microsoft recommends that you use a system restore point.
System restore is automatically disabled on computers with a low disk footprint!
giphy.gif

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager" /v "EnablePeriodicBackup" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

View attachment 215829
Thanks for the regfix. I tried task scheduler task and it failed few months ago on v1803. I just rely on MR backups.

Reactions: brambedkar59
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks for the regfix. I tried task scheduler task and it failed few months ago on v1803. I just rely on MR backups.

Personally I think this is the best option to recover from malware/system corruptions. While it's true that things can happen to the registry that can basically break the system, I think having a proper backup and doing either a clean install, or a restore from a good image backup is the best option. Heck, you can even use the refresh option, or what ever it's called in Windows (assuming it's not a significant malware infection), to restore the system. Personally I've had more issues with System restore than I can count. I just turn it off to save disk space and restore/reinstall if there are any major issues. It's faster and much more trouble free IMO.

L

Local Host

There was no warning issued, nor is there any problem whasoever, regedit backups were disabled on purpose since build 1809.

I never seen a single person use them in the first place, so why all this whining for something people don't even use, those who care about regedit backups make their own.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

There was no warning issued, nor is there any problem whasoever, regedit backups were disabled on purpose since build 1809.

I never seen a single person use them in the first place, so why all this whining for something people don't even use, those who care about regedit backups make their own.

Exactly!

This is one of those looking for an issue when there wasn't one. No one that I know of goes looking for a registry backup when the system has gone bonkers. Their example of businesses using it as a last resort is grasping for straws. Any business with any competent IT department/company would be using system backups that they can restore from, not a registry backup.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows is a joke.
Windows IT department: Windows Alfa/Beta/RC versions are running just fine, what about RTM? Lets remove Start there, just for fun, OK lets put it back, lets make it full-screen, no, no, no. Every-time people complain about those stilly changes, they are like, you do not know, what you want. :ROFLMAO:
This is one of those looking for an issue when there wasn't one.
It is not about the issue, it is about the stupidest excuse for it ever, even a child could come up with something better.
Just Windows updates backup 3 times for no reason and lets not talk about error reports, I had like 20GB once and so on.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you restore a full registry backup? I mean, what does it do? First time I heard of this animal.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

It was backing up silently when PC was idle only on AC/Plugged in state. I delete them from Linux and get rid off the bloat and re-create all Hives and then do regidle_backup task to backup newer clean reg Hives to backup folder for tidy Windows 10.

Reactions: oldschool

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't think Win 10 is in a rut, it works flawlessly for me on several PC's. With a bit of effort such as Shut-Up & Start 10 it works just like I want it too. Restoring a registry at the wrong time would be a disaster! Years ago I had reg backup programs a new version for Wn 98/XP/ etc. I forget the guy who wrote them I think he was also an Evangelist. Worked OK at times but along came usable for me Ghost then other imaging programs. I was a Linux fan but i don't even bother with it now. Not sure when MS has warned 800 million people but such info IMHO is fully discard-able. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.