Technology Microsoft May Be Making Windows 12 Subscription-Based

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
This is early and speculative. Just want to emphasize.

While this has been a hunch for a while among the Windows enthusiast community, a new leak seems to be further providing somewhat solidifying evidence that it could indeed be the case, that Microsoft's next-gen OS, casually referred to as Windows 12, could be a subscription-based OS.

German media outlet Deskmodder spotted several such subscription-related entries in the INI configuration file of the Canary channel build when it was compared with the Windows 11 23H2 Release Preview build using WinMerge.

Note, embedded links in the above quoted material were removed by me.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
yeah this is getting ridiculous ill move to Linux OS if this is real... If they do this and i may also consider a MAC. If they charge for windows, they better cut this Advertisement crap out otherwise apple will steal the entire userbase.

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
They must be figuring Win 11 is the last Windows. I cannot imagine the majority of people will pay even a dollar a month for the thrill of being allowed to use the next latest and greatest, but given the peculiar need of techies to have the latest everything, who knows.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Interesting in the ini-file it mentions (in German) device based and user based subscriptions.

It seems like a switch from free (!) upgrades from Windows 7 to 10 and from 10 to 11, now charging a fee (on a monthly base).

I recently moved to Linux, for the only stupid reason that I did have only a 4GB USB stick available after my desktop died. I noticed that Libre Office still does not handle branded content very well (Powerpoints with logo's and specific slide formats), but Office 365 this is a no issue anymore. For private use (and hobby clubs with simple branding) Libre Office works very well.

I don't see a lot of people moving to Linux, but Apple laptops and Chrome books might get more users when Windows becomes subscription based.

I am still undecided whether or not to stay on Linux (my Mint Cinnamon LTS is supported until april 2027), but now certainly will delay buying new hardware and stay with my 25 euro upgrade (which is twice as fast as my old potato desktop).

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I might have to try a Live Linux version on my only machine and start learning command language. I'm already maxed out on subscriptions. Next we'll need one to breathe. 🤔
Yeah probably good idea moving to bsd /Linux
Or any Unix like os
as they are free unlike a subscription you will have to pay till y die with win 12

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Hope that could be untrue

#PrayForWindows12Free

I recently moved to Linux, for the only stupid reason that I did have only a 4GB USB stick available after my desktop died. I noticed that Libre Office still does not handle branded content very well (Powerpoints with logo's and specific slide formats), but Office 365 this is a no issue anymore. For private use (and hobby clubs with simple branding) Libre Office works very well.
Have you tried WPS Office?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More services are being added to the umbrella that is Microsoft 365 subscription packages. It was only a matter of time before Windows OS became a service. Once users are locked in, they will announce a price hike.

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
I am keeping my eye on Cosmic DE from System76. This is in between KDE and Gnome. I really like aesthetics of Gnome but I need some configurability of KDE. I really hope MS doesn't go this way because of home PC and stuff. Personally my experience with linux (OpenSUSE and Pop!_OS) has been very good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.