Technology Microsoft May Be Making Windows 12 Subscription-Based

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Apple and Google are just rubbing hands, patiently awaiting such nonsense to be implemented so even more people can switch. Apple just has to release one mid range Mackie and Google just has to perfect the gaming and premium segment, something they’ve slowly and steadily been working on. They are also decoupling the browser from the main OS so ChromeOS can have even longer support.
I don’t think MS will be interested in putting one more nail in their coffin.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A new report denies rumors of a subscription-based Windows 12
Yesterday, we published a story detailing the possibility of Microsoft making the next-generation Windows release a subscription-based operating system. Code change in Windows 11 version 23H2 from the Release Preview suggested that Windows "12," or whatever Microsoft plans to call Windows 11's successor, would be available as a subscription, like Microsoft 365, Xbox Game Pass, and other services. As it turns out, those assumptions are likely false.

Windows Central published a new report, shooting down rumors about a Windows "12" subscription. According to their information, the discovered code bits are unrelated to the next Windows client version, expected in the second half of 2024. Instead, that code references the recently spotted Windows 11 IoT Enterprise Subscription.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Interesting: Do you move from LTS to LTS? And how much work is an upgrade? OR are you on rolling distro?
Although it's recommended to do a fresh install when there's a new LTS, I usually do an upgrade.
That will take some time, because all packages need to be downloaded and installed.
When that fails for some reason, a fresh install is needed (or you can revert back to the old system with the tool Timeshift).
I have /homeon a separate partition, so all my user configuration is kept.

I followed this guide to upgrade to my current system Linux Mint 20.

The inevitable upgrade to Mint 21 will be a more daunting task, since there is not much space left any more on the root partition...

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I think they will do similar for other operating systems, especially for most who don't have the time and resources to tweak, bug-hunt, etc.

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Although it's recommended to do a fresh install when there's a new LTS, I usually do an upgrade.
That will take some time, because all packages need to be downloaded and installed.
When that fails for some reason, a fresh install is needed (or you can revert back to the old system with the tool Timeshift).
I have /homeon a separate partition, so all my user configuration is kept.

I followed this guide to upgrade to my current system Linux Mint 20.

The inevitable upgrade to Mint 21 will be a more daunting task, since there is not much space left any more on the root partition...
It is indeed better to do fresh installs on upgrades. If you keep everything backed up in increments on external device, this will make it relatively painless. Time shift is an excellent way to keep your system smooth after a clean install as you build it up to your liking while ultimately relying on your external device to simplify clean installs and not losing anything should a hardware failure or software issue occur.

Always a good idea to use a notepad of sorts, to keep commands handy for issues you come across and as a cheat sheet to set up your favorite apps especially if you have to add too. Keep a copy of this on your external as well to speed up and simplify the clean installs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.