Battle Microsoft .NET Framework versions

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I know little of what framework does, but... was wondering if I should install the recommended updates to my framework 3.5? This is for Windows 7 Home, 64bit.

Should I install them in order, or just the latest version, or leave things at 3.5?

Is there added RAM use or any fuss with going with the 4.0+ ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
During a software installation and it requests .NET Framework to be present, I allow it.

upload_2016-8-2_20-23-16.png

By default in Windows 10, the .NET Framework is disabled - I think.

Edit:
2011: Mailbag: Do I need still need older versions of the .NET Framework on my system after installing the .NET Framework 4?

2011: http://lifehacker.com/5791578/what-is-the-net-framework-and-why-do-i-need-it

2011: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-of-net/9230272f-2d32-4d5e-a784-b1ad4217ca17

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I will bow to the superior knowledge of the above Gentlemen here...
But I have .Net 3.5 active on my system..
Microsoft ended security update support for .Net 4.5 & 4.5.1 at the beginning of this year,meaning that..
.Net 4.5.2 would be the only .Net v4 supported.
Surely if a software requires a .Net framework higher than one has on their system then they will be prompted to download the required version there and then....therefore personally I do not see a need in having any other than .Net 3.5 unless your software requires it.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Its always the best to try to be running the latest for security and hopefully a performance boost. :)
But security wise,versions of .net 3.5, 4.5.2, and 4.6/4,6,1 all receive security update support.
..and it does not necessarily follow that having a higher .Net framework available will mean that your existing software will use it,as .Net framework editions are not 100% backwards compatible..
Your software that requires .Net 3.5 for example,may still use .Net 3.5 despite you also having .Net 4.6 on your system.

H

hjlbx

What NET Framework versions you need installed on your system is dependent upon what softs are installed.

If a soft needs it, but verifies it is not on your system via a fondue.exe check, then fondue.exe will prompt for an install -- something to the effect that a software needs to install Framework X, Do you wish to install it ?

Also, the above behavior is exhibited by some malware that abuse NET Framework. If it isn't already on your system, then it will try to install NET Framework.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.