jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft Safety Scanner

Do you think your PC has a virus?

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

For real-time protection that helps to guard your home or small business PCs against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Link

The only downside is its only having 10 days trial.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This looks to replace Live OneCare Online Scanner, coming in at a 70MB download.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, if you plan to use it for more than the 10 days.

Think of it as an online scanner (ie. Eset Online Scanner). I'm assuming it would scan with the same detections as MSE. Remember MSE requires the OS to be genuine, so expiring after 10 days is somewhat understandable.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Its not an online scanner. Its the same as Dr.WebCurit and Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool as I have previously explained. Web scanners do not expire.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
Nice, but since they have a fully functional FREE antivirus, why would they make this expire after 10 days?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Do any of you understand what this does and what its for? Its a stand alone non updating malware scanner. We all have used Dr.WebCurit and Kaspersky Virus Removal tool before. Both of those also expire but its not a trial expiration. Its cause new definitions are added to the downloader. Everytime you want to run scan with Dr.WebCurit you need to download the complete package which changes about every 3-4 days or so. Same principle.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
Dieselman said:
Do any of you understand what this does and what its for? Its a stand alone non updating malware scanner. We all have used Dr.WebCurit and Kaspersky Virus Removal tool before. Both of those also expire but its not a trial expiration. Its cause new definitions are added to the downloader. Everytime you want to run scan with Dr.WebCurit you need to download the complete package which changes about every 3-4 days or so. Same principle.

Sry I thought it was updatable, but u are wrong here, the Kaspersky Removal Tool can be updated with another tool that is available online, do a google search ;D

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
@Dieselman
There is a program made to even update the virus removal tool

Link:http://depositfiles.com/en/files/840jt6cm2
This is a NOD32 Update something and it has a kaspersky icon which u can use to update the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, I've been doing it for some time and it works well

More info:http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/11/09/manually-update-avptool-kaspersky-virus-removal-tool-signature-databases - This info is for the old version, but you pretty much get the point.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Very shady if you ask me. Trusting some sort of hack to update a program which can easily be downloaded. No thanks.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
@Dieselman Well, I've tested it and it works, but you are right that the program can be easily redownloaded. I don't use AVPTool much though.

V

Vextor

Note that this isn't new. It has been out for a while under a different name (windows live onecare)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Isn't it just?

Old: Windows Live OneCare
New: Microsoft Security Essentials
and
Old: OneCare Online Scanner
New: Microsoft Safety Scanner

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.