Microsoft Security Essentials - Would you use this antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
To my knowledge, you can't place Windows Defender's icon in the system tray of Windows 8.

I have produced a simple Photo Album (hosted on imgur) of the different settings and actions of Windows Defender in Windows 8. Hope this help explain some of your questions. :D

http://imgur.com/a/8BUOa

bo.elam said:
Even though WD is enabled and updated, I do not see an icon by the clock. Even when is open, I don't see anything related to WD by the clock. I cant figure how to get the icon by the clock, is that how it is in W8? I tried the Eicar test so I know WD is working but I like to place an icon by the clock to let my buddy know if WD is disabled. Another question. Even though I know WD is working when Windows starts, why is it that WD is not shown as starting with Windows by CCleaner: Tools>Startup>Windows.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ZeroDay said:
When windows 8.1 is released I'm seriously considering switching my whole setup to all things Microsoft. Lua, Uac, smart screen, mse, windows firewall and ie :)

I'm already using Windows default security on my Windows 8 laptop and it runs very light and does its job.

A user would have to be completely ignorant to get an infection with Windows default security.

First layer- SmartScreen on IE, the user would have to ignore the warning and run the file anyway. SmartScreen checks for digital signatures from trusted vendors, warns you if the file is not digitally signed or is a file not commonly downloaded.

Second layer- UAC, also checks for digital signatures and allows you to click to verify the certificates. If the file has missing certificates then it should be known to the user the file is not safe to run. The user would have to ignore the warning and approve the file to run.

Third layer- Windows Run warning, also checks for digital signatures and allows you to click to verify the certificates. The user would have to ignore this third warning to get an infection.

Forth layer- Windows Defender, will detect almost all current and widespread malware, of coarse zero-day malware will usually not get detected but they should be block by the first 3 layers.

Fifth layer- Windows Firewall, will block all outbound connections unless the user unblocks them. This will block Trojans that steal user info and upload it to their servers.

So the way I see it, if the user choices to ignore all of these warnings then they deserve the infections.

Thanks.:D

Z

ZeroDay

So the way I see it, if the user choices to ignore all of these warnings then they deserve the infections.

Spot on!

Edit just to add: I'm really getting fed up of all these third party security apps. I'm a safe browser, I don't download from untrusted sources, I consider myself to be an advanced user so the way I see it - All I need is Windows built in security.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Littlebits, is it possible to compare Windows SmartScreen (in Win8) and IE SmartScreen as having identical levels of protection?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
To my knowledge, you can't place Windows Defender's icon in the system tray of Windows 8.

Thats what I was afraid of. It doesn't really matter though. In his older computer, when I looked at it (maybe once a month), I never found MSE disabled unlike Avast or Avira. My friend don't care about PC security but he has learned how to use Sandboxie, appreciates it and running MSE along has kept him safe.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Littlebits, is it possible to compare Windows SmartScreen (in Win8) and IE SmartScreen as having identical levels of protection?

In Windows 8 SmartScreen works with all downloaded files from the web no matter which browser you use. In Windows 7 it is only available on IE.

You can test this yourself on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Open this page- http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/DownloadReputation/Default.html with IE.

Download both freevideo.exe files- both are safe but one is a fake.

See if SmartScreen can help you tell the difference. The one that gives you the red warning on Windows 7 is a fake, so if this had been a real malware you should choose to delete it. But on Windows 8, you should get a big blue SmartScreen display "Windows Protected your PC", if you click "Ok" the file is automatically deleted by Windows but you can click "More details" in small text, then choose to Run anyway or Don't Run.

You can copy the download links for the freevideo.exe files and download them with any browser or download manager and on Windows 8, SmartScreen will still block the fake one. But on Windows 7, you would have to rely on UAC unless you downloaded the files with IE.

I believe SmartScreen in Windows 8 will do a better job since it works with all files downloaded from the web and displays the big blue Warning where most novice users would just click on "OK" and not see the small text "More details".

I hope I explained where this is understood.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't blame you, here's why.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2044422/windows-8-1-steps-up-security-with-biometrics-encryption-and-more.html

EPM turned on by default in IE11 with Adobe Flash Player, WD with Network monitoring support, all Windows 8.1 user gets Encryption, Biometric support, VPN support, Remote data control.

ZeroDay said:
When windows 8.1 is released I'm seriously considering switching my whole setup to all things Microsoft. Lua, Uac, smart screen, mse, windows firewall and ie :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I do have a soft spot for MSE and i may return to it in the future.
Yes using microsoft products all the way is a good idea as there is no risk of conflicts etc.

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
Paul.R said:
Hi!

What is your opinion about MSE 4?

In my experience:
-slow update
-light on system
-good detection
-very few false alarm
-friendly interface
-not sow buggy like others products

Have a nice day!

My roommate and I went on a, "Find a virus or Trojan hunt" with MSE. So we ventured out into the "Jungle of Infections" and MSE picked up 3 Trojans and some other malware and this was on some 'R' and XXX rated sites. Ran Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Anti-Malware after and hour of the sin tour and they came up with '0' threats.
MSE quarantined all of them. Also, Windows 7 firewall with Tinywall showed it picked up (blocked) '16' malware threats in the 'Blocked apps' screen in Tinywall.

Miss Acme

>

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.