Microsoft to Block Malicious Links in Office Documents

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Exterminator, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Microsoft is implementing a new security feature in its Office productivity suite to block malicious links that are included in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.

Documents hiding links leading to dangerous websites or malware-infected pages have been around for a while, and this is why Microsoft is introducing the Advanced Threat Protection Safe Links feature with support for the Office suite, trying to provide users with an additional protection layer when working on the desktop.

McLovin, Andy Ful, BoraMurdar and 9 others like this.
  2. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    It's also a great thing if Microsoft would implement security detection mechanism from not only through malicious links but possible suspected macros.

In that case, the user will not enable the content immediately once a clear description mentioned.

soccer97, Andy Ful, SHvFl and 2 others like this.
  3. soccer97

soccer97 Level 11

May 22, 2014
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    I am glad they are doing this. It will reduce the amount of times that an end user clicks a malicious link that may compromise the PC and/or the network.

Hopefully they keep it up with the education integrated within the mechanism (Similar to Data Loss Prevention in Outlook)

Andy Ful and SHvFl like this.
  4. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Specifically aimed at Office 365 ProPlus subscribers....

Everyone with anything else can drop dead and get infected. MS really makes 0 sense.

Andy Ful, soccer97 and frogboy like this.
  5. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Ordinary home users usually leave their Office apps at the default settings, which disable scripts. It's the business users who are likely to enable scripts, so they need the extra protection. I think that's the logic.

Andy Ful, Spawn, SHvFl and 1 other person like this.
  6. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Office 365 is the subscription model of each version. So for example i can buy Office 2016 or Office 365 as a home user. It will be exactly the same thing. They just added it only to the subscription model because they want to push everyone into that.

Andy Ful, shmu26 and soccer97 like this.
  7. soccer97

soccer97 Level 11

May 22, 2014
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    @SHvFl
    I hear you - I have used both versions of Office 365.

ProPlus is used in edu, healthcare, and "relatively critical" environments. The costs can be $20-$35 plus per user per month, usually more. They are doing their best with DLP, Significantly improved protection with the latest release of Exchange Server, Auto-disabling Macros and trying to get some user Education in there. I think it may likely have a trickle down effect. Start with ProPlus and Enterprise, and then down to Business customers, then home.

That's just an assumption. Maybe it is a balance between protection and "perceived" barriers/inconveniences by end-users at the individual level. You can always give feedback (which I believe is warranted).

I have no affiliation with any company. Just a person that values security like all of you guys :).

Andy Ful, Spawn and SHvFl like this.