Microsoft to fix Windows XP update SVCHOST redline issue 'soon'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Microsoft thought it had the Windows XP update redlining problem solved in this month's Black Tuesday crop of patches. Instead, the problem's back this month with a vengeance. The Microsoft Update team has analyzed the latest manifestation, come up with an explanation, and we're promised that a permanent solution will arrive "as soon as possible."

Windows Update team member Doug Neal has just posted a message to the Patch Management Mailing List that explains what's happening when Windows XP's Windows Update agent, wuauclt.exe (running in a SVCHOST wrapper), drives CPU utilization to 100 percent -- and can keep WinXP machines pegged at 100 percent for 15 minutes or longer.
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-fix-windows-xp-update-svchost-redline-issue-soon-230940

Reactions: Jack

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why not just end support for the operating system?

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
IMO, M$ already pronounced an EOS date, they need to honor it. In the mean time, any issues should be addressed with the same commitment until then. There is still an estimated 27% of the Windows OS market that are XP users.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I have been unable to successfully do monthly updates on XP Pro since the July releases.

I have tried Windows Update page both manually as well as their automated "fix" tools without success.

Finally, I just decided that it wasn't worth the effort anymore to keep a nearly extinct OS up to date.

I'll rely on the security apps I have installed until I decide to move on from XP on my own timetable.

Frankly, this apparent lack of commitment by MS on this issue may have me seriously consider alternatives but we shall see. (It's been a good run.)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
@blues

i had trouble with updating Win XP also and used this way to fix it

i wonder if there is a lot of others with the same problem

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Microsoft-Update-may-be-broken-for-XP-by-mikiem2

:)

James

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I don't know. It was a surprise to me when it happened and I couldn't find a way to work around it.
Now I'm not sure if and when I'll be inclined to waste more time on it.

I do appreciate the info, however. Thanks, James.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I was wondering when they will fix this. It drove me crazy, on three old computers, until I figured out that Windows Update needs to be turned off to solve this issue.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
With EOS looming on the horizon the last thing XP users need is inability to update, or trouble updating to current patches.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hi Blues, I ll tell you my formula for doing Windows updates in my XP (it works for me). First of all ever since I can remember, I keep Windows update disabled. I also take a few days after updates are released to run WU from the WU site. And do it in the evening (10PM) Eastern time.

This works for me and usually, after 10 or 12 minutes (it used not to be like that) the page with the updates is displayed. By doing it like this, I have been able to do all updates. For me, the only difference between doing updates now than how it used to be is that I have to wait about 10 minutes before updates show up.

Bo

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks Bo. I received updates successfully and without problem through July of this year. What changed after that is a mystery to me.

Anyway, I usually had just the alert and then would choose which items to update...but since then no matter what method I've used has been a failure.

Neither Windows Update on nor off...nor manual updates via the web would work and then there was the problem of high CPU usage.

Finally I just decided to blow it off.

I may give it a shot again at some point but I'm reluctant to waste my time.

Appreciate your sharing your method.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Obviously this problem has not been corrected by M$ as of this past patch Tuesday, which all but rendered my XP desktop unusable. To use my pc I had to do a hard shut down and booted into safe mode, where I then disabled Windows updates. Once I restarted in regular mode and confirmed that was indeed the problem with the system essentially frozen, I then went to the Windows update website to download the updates. That's how I will do it from here on.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I can't even do it that way. (And grow less inclined to be bothered with MS and Windows by the day as a result.)

I last checked about a week or so back. Connected to the Windows Update site and watched the bar scrolling across the screen for a few minutes while services.exe started eating more and more CPU.

I may be driven to Apple before too long...

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I can't even do it that way. (And grow less inclined to be bothered with MS and Windows by the day as a result.)

I last checked about a week or so back. Connected to the Windows Update site and watched the bar scrolling across the screen for a few minutes while services.exe started eating more and more CPU.

I may be driven to Apple before too long...
I am not sure why it's not working for you, and I could understand your frustration. What I also did yesterday was to install Zorin OS, a flavor of the Ubuntu distro, along side XP. Zorin OS can be configured to present the look and feel of Windows 7 or XP, user's preference.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
Got it to work finally after reading various threads on the web, most importantly a thread over at Wilders with some excellent info.

I downloaded the cumulative security patch for my version of IE. Once I did that and rebooted, I re-enabled the "automatic updates" service and it went to work right away.

Ended up with 20 or so patches since my last successful update in July.

Too bad it wasn't Microsoft that got the word out to those in need.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Got it to work finally after reading various threads on the web, most importantly a thread over at Wilders with some excellent info.

I downloaded the cumulative security patch for my version of IE. Once I did that and rebooted, I re-enabled the "automatic updates" service and it went to work right away.

Ended up with 20 or so patches since my last successful update in July.

Too bad it wasn't Microsoft that got the word out to those in need.
Well, I am glad you found the fix to get your updates.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
Well, I am glad you found the fix to get your updates.

You and me both, thanks. That Zorin OS sounds interesting. I may have to look into it. (Though I'm the sort that would rather have the installation software at hand rather than try my luck at creating it.)

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
You and me both, thanks. That Zorin OS sounds interesting. I may have to look into it. (Though I'm the sort that would rather have the installation software at hand rather than try my luck at creating it.)
The hardest part with installing Zorin was downloading it. That took about 7 hrs with my connection, 1.5GB. Once you have it, you just need to burn the ISO file to a DVD. I used ImgBurn which is free. Here is the link for details and download, if you decide to go that way. Setup for me was less than an hr, and it is fairly simple to configure.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
The hardest part with installing Zorin was downloading it. That took about 7 hrs with my connection, 1.5GB. Once you have it, you just need to burn the ISO file to a DVD. I used ImgBurn which is free. Here is the link for details and download, if you decide to go that way. Setup for me was less than an hr, and it is fairly simple to configure.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.