Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft is set to release a new Outlook Lite app on Android later this month. The app will provide a faster and lighter alternative to the regular Outlook app for Android users with low-end devices.

The upcoming release of Outlook Lite was announced yesterday on the Microsoft 365 roadmap (thanks Michael for the tip!). Microsoft described the upcoming client as “An Android app that brings the main benefits of Outlook in a smaller app size with fast performance for low-end devices on any network.”

According to a report from the German blog Dr.Windows, the .apk file for Outlook Lite has been available for quite some time on the Internet, and the current version of the app only supports one personal Microsoft account. You can see in the screenshots below (in German) that the bottom navigation bar is slightly different, with a Contacts tab replacing the Search tab in the regular Outlook mobile app.

Despite the missing Search tab, the app is said to be pretty much feature complete and performing well. However, since this app is supposed to be faster and lighter than the regular Outlook app, the opposite would have been surprising.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Outlook Introduces Lite Version of Android App​

Outlook is used by millions of people daily for their email and calendaring needs across the world. Yet, there are a wide range of devices that do not have all the capabilities required to get the best Outlook experience on their smartphone.

We are thrilled to announce the availability of Outlook Lite in select markets to empower more individuals, schools, universities, and small businesses with a solution for their lightweight mobile devices. Outlook Lite brings the main features of Microsoft Outlook in a smaller-sized app with fast performance for lightweight devices on any network.

Outlook Lite is available today in the following countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, India, Mexico, Peru, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Venezuela. We will review adding support for other countries in the future.

large
What is Outlook Lite?
  • The Outlook you love - Outlook Lite has the core experience of Outlook including access to emails, calendar, contacts, and more
  • Small - Outlook Lite app is about 5 MB in download size and uses extremely low storage on your phone
  • Fast - Optimized to run fast on all Android devices including devices with 1GB RAM
  • Low battery usage - Uses less phone resources, saving your battery
  • All networks - Works well on all networks, including 2G and 3G networks worldwide
Outlook Lite supports Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live, MSN, Microsoft 365, and Microsoft Exchange Online accounts.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to get the Outlook Lite app for Android​

If you live in one of the supported regions or are there right now, visit the Google Play Store to download the app from it.

While you may be able to use a VPN connection to one of the supported countries to download the Outlook Lite app this way, you may also download it from an APK download site.

APK Mirror is a popular and well respected site. Please note that there is always a risk involved when downloading Android APK files from third-party sites.

Visit the Microsoft Outlook Lite profile page on APK Mirror and download the latest version of the application to the Android system.

You need to enable the installation of Android apps from unknown sources in the Settings to install the app. There is no regional block in place during installation or afterwards.

L

Local Host

I installed the apk but the app is currently useless. It does not support any kind of email account other than a Microsoft one, no Gmail, Yahoo or other imap.
It's called Outlook for a reason, you also try to login your Microsoft account on Gmail? :ROFLMAO:

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
My company forces us to use Outlook for work email, but the Outlook app on Android has gone to ##### over the past few years. Now that apps like Nine are blocked, I get constant lockups, freezes, lagging, and the like, and it's not like I'm using old devices. S22, S22 Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro, Oneplus 9 Pro, Z Flip4 and a ZFold4, and Outlook locks up all of them.

So far Outlook lite is running great, but I get no message previews in the notification shade, just "new email available" or something equally unhelpful.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
My company forces us to use Outlook for work email, but the Outlook app on Android has gone to ##### over the past few years. Now that apps like Nine are blocked, I get constant lockups, freezes, lagging, and the like, and it's not like I'm using old devices. S22, S22 Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro, Oneplus 9 Pro, Z Flip4 and a ZFold4, and Outlook locks up all of them.

So far Outlook lite is running great, but I get no message previews in the notification shade, just "new email available" or something equally unhelpful.
Good to know. Normal Outlook app has been freezing and draining the battery of my rubbish work mobile. Hopefully this lite version will run a lot better :)

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Annnnnd I had to uninstall the app. It was just garbage. Honestly, I might just bookmark the webapp and make an icon on my phone.

My company makes a TON of ##### decisions (especially for a tech company) but this one hits me hard. I miss using Nine for my email.

Reactions: ErzCrz

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Annnnnd I had to uninstall the app. It was just garbage. Honestly, I might just bookmark the webapp and make an icon on my phone.
nder
My company makes a TON of ##### decisions (especially for a tech company) but this one hits me hard. I miss using Nine for my email.
I had a bit of a go with it today but only allows one account at the moment. I'd rather have the option to turn off features from the main app like Sender's photos (exchange email) and limiting background usage.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I tried it, but can't Delete/Mark as read from the notification. It's the lite version, so can't complain about this I guess. So I'll have to stick to the main outlook.

Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.