Microsoft Updates Windows 10 Antivirus with “Security Center,” More Features

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Microsoft has already shipped a modern version of Windows Defender to users participating in the Windows Insider program, and now the company is announcing that the antivirus is becoming the Windows Defender Security Center to serve as the central hub of everything security.

Just like we’ve already seen in the existing builds of Windows 10, the new Windows Defender app, which will soon be called Windows Defender Security Center, will integrate more than just basic malware scanning capabilities.

The application will indeed boast virus and threat protection, but at the same time, it will also offer tools for checking and improving device performance and health. Windows Defender will thus be able to view if any Windows updates are available, check for new drivers, see the current status of the battery, and get a glimpse into storage statistics.

More features for Windows Defender

Additionally, users will also be provided with firewall and network protection tools, app and browser controls, and family options to give parents an easy way to manage the time their children spend on the computer.

“Our goal with the new Windows Defender Security Center is to help you become more informed and make safety simple. It is equally important to us that you are protected by default and continuously protected – never giving the bad guys an opportunity to harm you,” Microsoft explains.

Windows Defender will also get along very well with other antivirus solutions in Windows 10, and the Security Center will allow you to launch the third-party security product straight from its main screen, should you want to perform a quick scan.

Read more: Microsoft Updates Windows 10 Antivirus with “Security Center,” More Features

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
They need to move everything there. Smartscreen, WF, UAC, WD...
If you put everything at one place it will be easier to manage instead of having them all around the place. They seem to be trying to do that but knowing them they will move some and leave the rest in random locations.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Credit where credit is due. MS are actively working to improve Windows security.
Users will still complain, because these new features are released under the major updates (ie. Creators Update) and they don't want the GSOD.

@SHvFl They have Smartscreen under the new panel.

upload_2017-1-24_10-9-17.png

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Users will still complain, because these new features are released under the major updates (ie. Creators Update) and they don't want the GSOD.

View attachment 134131
They will probably just skip UAC because they associate it with user accounts.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016

View attachment 134131

People will always complain about change. As long as it improves security and makes the current situation better then people will accept it.

MS has to walk a fine line between locking down Windows to make it more secure and making using Windows a pleasant experience.

I hope we see MS move towards virtualization in the future in a way that doesn't impact user experience.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014

View attachment 134131

The creators update won't change the color of the BSOD. The GSOD is just for people in the Windows Insiders.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It makes great sense for MS to consolidate their very own modules of OS and provide such a security portal. Thumbs up!
Some things here and there, some won't be that useful, but this action will boost users getting informed about their general security.

Not to say that this has made it better in proactive protection. It does have pressure to deliver a better in-built security provision for the lazy and calmed users while not becoming a full-fledge R&D security provider as that would mean becoming a big player in the Windows antivirus industry, that it doesn't want to become for sure, for the good of Windows Security ecosystem.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I voted no because it will not be useful to me as I have no problems navigating my way around the OS the way it is now.
If I was asked if I think it will be useful in general I would say yes.
Anytime you consolidate something within an OS it will be of use to the average users.
MS is definitely stepping up and making 10 better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.