New Update Microsoft: Windows needs at least 8 hours online to update reliably

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

Microsoft says that Windows devices need to be online for at least eight hours to get the latest updates and have them correctly installed after they're released through Windows Update.

The amount of time devices running Windows are powered on and connected to Windows Update is tracked by Microsoft as 'Update Connectivity.'
This measurement correlates the systems' lack of enough connected time with why they're not up to date while also making it easier to understand why some devices are unlikely to get recently released updates successfully.

According to David Guyer, a Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Updates in MEM, Windows devices need at least 8 hours online to get the latest updates and successfully install them.
"One of the most impactful things we explored was how much time a device needs to be powered on and connected to Windows Update to be able to successfully install quality and feature updates," said Guyer.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hello Laser,

I don't know which update they are talking because 8 hour is really huge. I have been using Windows from last 7 years and till now it never took more than an hour to update and install properly. Funny part is that, you can install the whole operating system in just 45 minutes.
I don't think I'm talking about the time to run the update, I think I'm talking about the time to get an idea of the state of an individual Windows in preparation before that.

Since win10, the specification for applying updates after a clean OS install has been greatly improved. I was frankly pleased with this.:) (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.