Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Comodo Internet Security, Cruelsister settings, Comodo Dome Shield
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana Antimalware Portable, Norton PowerEraser, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Comodo Killswitch, Emsisoft Emergemcy Kit
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome / Comodo Dragon (MyKi, Windows Defender Browser extension, Comodo Online Security), Microsoft Edge (MyKi)
Maintenance tools
Windows Default Defragmenter, SuMo Software updater, FileHippo software updater, Aomei Partition Assistant
File and Photo backup
Aomei Backupper Standard, OneDrive
System recovery
Aomei Backupper Standard

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@mike6688: tagged as Caution temporally your config since there is no system image backup solution in Your system.

Consider to add Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper, both are free and reliable, also You may try Norton Power Eraser and EmsiSoft E.K. as additional on demands scanners.

Thanks for sharing :)

D

Deleted member 65228

I'd tad up User Account Control to maximum than leave it on Default since it is usually easier to bypass it at Default. I'd also add a backup as suggested by @harlan4096 and @JM Security :)

Security is like a car. When you are driving, you wear a seat-belt and you have an airbag... When you crash, you hope the seat-belt and airbag can help save you. You put your car into repair with money from the insurance and now your car is fixed. In cyber-security, you hope that your security solution can help prevent an infection driving in your direction when you make a mistake, or block during the deployment of a malicious payload (like the car with the seat-belt/air-bag). However, when an infection is active, you can use a backup and that is like having your car go through repairs.

Even though you backup your data, without a system image it is more hassle for you. It would be like being in a car accident, and then not having the money for insurance, and being told that you have to manually repair the car even though you are not a mechanic. So with a proper system image backup, you can just... revert back. Automatic and less hassle, more convenient :)

mike6688

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
@mike6688: tagged as Caution temporally your config since there is no system image backup solution in Your system.

Consider to add Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper, both are free and reliable, also You may try Norton Power Eraser and EmsiSoft E.K. as additional on demands scanners.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you everyone. I've just added Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft to my on demand scanners. I'll have a look Macrium Reflect Free to add a dedicated backup rather than just copying things to a HDD like I currently do.

I'd tad up User Account Control to maximum than leave it on Default since it is usually easier to bypass it at Default. I'd also add a backup as suggested by @harlan4096 and @JM Security :)

Security is like a car. When you are driving, you wear a seat-belt and you have an airbag... When you crash, you hope the seat-belt and airbag can help save you. You put your car into repair with money from the insurance and now your car is fixed. In cyber-security, you hope that your security solution can help prevent an infection driving in your direction when you make a mistake, or block during the deployment of a malicious payload (like the car with the seat-belt/air-bag). However, when an infection is active, you can use a backup and that is like having your car go through repairs.

Even though you backup your data, without a system image it is more hassle for you. It would be like being in a car accident, and then not having the money for insurance, and being told that you have to manually repair the car even though you are not a mechanic. So with a proper system image backup, you can just... revert back. Automatic and less hassle, more convenient :)

I'll adjust UAC to maximum also. I like that metaphor you used. :)

mike6688

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Please edit Your config to reflect the new changes and announce it here, thanks :)

I've now updated my config. I've added Norton Power Eraser & Emsisoft EK to on demand scanners, Increased UAC, added uBlock origin and installed Aomei Backupper. I will set it up for scheduled images tomorrow when I have time. :)

You can ad ublock origin or adguard to your extension list for adblocking. Kuddos for using privacy badger ;) thanks for sharing your config! If you follow the suggestions other members give you, than it is rock solid!

I've added uBlock origin also now :) thank you for the kuddos wouldn't be without Privacy badger.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

Noobshot

Level 1
Dec 18, 2017
I've now updated my config. I've added Norton Power Eraser & Emsisoft EK to on demand scanners, Increased UAC, added uBlock origin and installed Aomei Backupper. I will set it up for scheduled images tomorrow when I have time. :)

I've added uBlock origin also now :) thank you for the kuddos wouldn't be without Privacy badger.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.
Glad to see you're getting safe! :D

Last edited:

mike6688

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Made a few changes after trialling some different things:
Replaced LastPass with MyKi with encrypted backup in OneDrive. Switched browser to Chrome instead of Edge and removed Comodo online scanner and added Windows defender browser extension to Chrome. Removed uBlock and added Windscribe browser extension for Ad Blocking in Chrome. Still have uBlock origin in Edge. Replaced Comodo Internet with Sophos Home Premium due to free licence and some issues with bugs. Increased Sophos reputation blocking to strict.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Replaced Comodo Internet with Sophos Home Premium due to free licence and some issues with bugs. Increased Sophos reputation blocking to strict.
Nice, one of the few I see in MT using strict reputation. Download reputation, Web protection and heuristic traffic scanning is one of the core strengths features in SHP. You also get an Sophos Home Clean (Hitman.Pro) as on-demand built-in. As long as you know what you are running on your system, you are well covered. (y)

Reactions: oldschool

mike6688

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Nice, one of the few I see in MT using strict reputation. Download reputation, Web protection and heuristic traffic scanning is one of the core strengths features in SHP. You also get an Sophos Home Clean (Hitman.Pro) as on-demand built-in. As long as you know what you are running on your system, you are well covered. (y)
Agreed, it has always performed well when I was testing the beta and runs really light on my system also. It's a bonus to have hitman.pro with it since the acquisition I'm quite confident in my system, but I do really need to do a fresh install of Windows.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.