Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a 500 GB partition here, called "P" (Personal Data)
For some reason, it only has 50 GB free, when it really should have 300 GB free.
Can't figure it out. The disk it is on has no errors and no fragmentation.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You must remove the RollBack Rx program, and then reinstall the Windows operating system!
I don't have Rollback installed, and never did, since my last Windows reinstallation.
Please note that this is not my primary partition. It is on a secondary hard disk.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
You must remove the RollBack Rx program, and then reinstall the Windows operating system!
What? That makes no sense at all! This is a secondary drive. His boot drive has lots of free space available.

Please note that this is not my primary partition. It is on a secondary hard disk.
You are absolutely correct! I would like to assume Evandro thought he was posting to a different thread and that he was not being malicious, or that his account was hijacked as that advice was totally out of line.

Unfortunately, your screen shot does not show us everything because it stops under "Installation Files etc". But note of the 3 folders it does show, it is showing over 120GB consumed.

Have you run Disk Cleanup (or CCleaner) on it?

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What? That makes no sense at all! This is a secondary drive. His boot drive has lots of free space available.

You are absolutely correct! I would like to assume Evandro thought he was posting to a different thread and that he was not being malicious, or that his account was hijacked as that advice was totally out of line.

Unfortunately, your screen shot does not show us everything because it stops under "Installation Files etc". But note of the 3 folders it does show, it is showing over 120GB consumed.

Have you run Disk Cleanup (or CCleaner) on it?
Thanks.
Disk Cleanup says there is no space to be gained.
The cut-off part of the screenshot adds some more disk usage, but it just doesn't add up. At the top of the WinDirectStat window, you can see that it totals at 256 GB. But really, it is a 500 GB partition. That's what I can't figure out.

Upvote 0

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Strange, a possible solution could be to save all the files on the "P" partition, for example, temporarily on external HDD, format the "P" partition, reassign the unallocated space, and finally to transfer the same files on the same partition and checking out.
But this really can take a very long time...

I also wanted to advice him to do like this. Moving necessary files to the external device like HDD and format a partion ,,P,,. But as you have already said it may take a time to move all files.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Strange, a possible solution could be to save all the files on the "P" partition, for example, temporarily on external HDD, format the "P" partition, reassign the unallocated space, and finally to transfer the same files on the same partition and checking out.
But this really can take a very long time...
I am actually in the middle of doing exactly that......

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Well, not sure I would call formatting a secondary drive "radical" but I am glad it worked. I suspect running chkdsk /r or error checking on it would have cleared it up too.

Thanks for posting your followup.

Reactions: roger_m and shmu26
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.