Solved Monitor Blacks Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Shortly after startup my monitor wants to shut off. I have it set to "black out" in 5 minutes. Nonetheless, during startup, just after my security is booted and wireless connection is obtained, it wants to do that click-click sound followed by what should happen after 5 minutes of idleness, not 30 seconds.

It is not a big deal, but it is annoying as heck when you start to do stuff after boot and in between mouse clicks and typing you get that CLICK-CLICK sound followed by the monitor going black and then CLICK-CLICK and a little profanity my desktop is visible again. It makes me want to break something.

I can right click "properties" on the desktop and reapply the 5 minute monitor time out. After the ensuing reboot it does not do it, but it eventually starts doing it again. It is only at startup. Otherwise the monitor blacks out after 5 minutes, as it should per settings.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know I've had problems with a CRT monitor in the past. What kind of monitor is it?

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It is a total piece of junk. It looks like an 80's TV, but it does have a nice picture.

"MAG Innovision 986FS" is all I see. I think it is 19". This thing ancient.

It acts like software is the problem since I can reapply the 5 min. blackout rule and it won't go black just after the next reboot. Other than that, the monitor works fine.

Now that I check my recollection, I have seen this before. I don't remember the circumstances or environment though.

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Maybe instead of having the system turn off the monitor, just turn it off manually when you aren't at your computer.

I've gotten into the habit of doing this, because my computer has an odd issue of not blacking out the monitor sometimes. Generally after doing something like watching a full-screen video. I'm not sure why this seems to interrupt the normal blackout operation. So to be on the safe side, I just turn it off manually.

Sure it's not as convenient, but it becomes habit after a while.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Maybe instead of having the system turn off the monitor, just turn it off manually when you aren't at your computer.

I like the way you think--OUTSIDE THE BOX.
I will try that. It only makes sense.
If I had been working on an appliance that I thought was broken, you would have simply told me to plug it in. haha

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ZOU1 said:
If I had been working on an appliance that I thought was broken, you would have simply told me to plug it in. haha

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this...
Doctor: Then don't do that!

:p

No, nothing so extreme. It's just that from my own experiences, I know that sometimes the auto-off feature can be finicky.

Automation is nice, but when it's acting up and you still have the manual option that is guaranteed to work every time, why not use the manual option?

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Your solution did the trick as I thought it would.
Apparently Malware Defender and my Linksys software fight for a close second place during boot time, just behind Threatfire. Desktop icons leave and come back sometimes while those two are booting together.

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
If you think it could have something to do with two pieces of software competing during boot, you could use software like Soluto to delay the loading of any particular software until after the OS loads.

I know there are other pieces of software that will delay program starts, but Soluto is the one I could think of right away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.