Well-known
May 29, 2018
My starter setup for 2022

Linux distro: Pop OS!
Browser : brave browser
Extensions : bitwarden
Browser search engine: Brave Search

On demand scanner: ClamTK daily scan scheduled

Maybe looking for backupper software , im going to upgrade desktop to windows 11 after linux ( buying new desktop)

Unless i burnout after week and go back to windows 10 :)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Two questions
1. Do you use cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2 (no-malware)?

2. Why PopOS, would be interesting why you choose this distro?

Thx /K
I use default 1.1.1.1

Pop os is kind of meant for ''gaming'' you can choose if it comes with preinstalled nvidia driver or not

It feels like windows , i have tried mint + elementaryOS ..but the pop os is different somehow

What i have learnt is that im using dual boot, i have both linux + windows installed so i dont have to clean install

I like using linux , it gives mind of peace by being privacy os...but in otherhand my OCD really gets worse as im unsure about using os wich has not antivirus

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I tried PopOS yesterday evening on USB stick. Everything worked, which is good, because I tried a few distro's which did not recognise my soundbar or did not load (probably due to strange Xeon CPU and a M2 SSD in a PCI-adaptor). PopOS startup of Firefox took 2-3 secs. Do you know whether the 'try it from USB' creates a RAM-disk (some distro's do to make the testdrive blazing fast)?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I tried PopOS yesterday evening on USB stick. Everything worked, which is good, because I tried a few distro's which did not recognise my soundbar or did not load (probably due to strange Xeon CPU and a M2 SSD in a PCI-adaptor). PopOS startup of Firefox took 2-3 secs. Do you know whether the 'try it from USB' creates a RAM-disk (some distro's do to make the testdrive blazing fast)?
Unsure about that, but i have broken 2 usb sticks now..by flashing linux on usb stick > then running windows and formatting usb stick makes it not to work anymore, well sticks cost like 3 usd for 32gt but still

I have soundbar, but i dont have tested that, for me the drivers are found itself for everything else
About pop os, first time i tried it i had to unlock 240 hz on about:config @ firefox and run a code for chromium browsers. Nowadays i dont have to do that as it clocks browser speed into 240 hz without tuning

Sorry im not that techy guy like many people here, im just messing with tech and often run into problems :LOL:

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Unsure about that, but i have broken 2 usb sticks now..by flashing linux on usb stick > then running windows and formatting usb stick makes it not to work anymore, well sticks cost like 3 usd for 32gt but still

I have soundbar, but i dont have tested that, for me the drivers are found itself for everything else
About pop os, first time i tried it i had to unlock 240 hz on about:config @ firefox and run a code for chromium browsers. Nowadays i dont have to do that as it clocks browser speed into 240 hz without tuning

Sorry im not that techy guy like many people here, im just messing with tech and often run into problems :LOL:
You are not the only one who has trouble with usb sticks and Linux:
The solution there is InitDisk:
I used the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool with succes in the past:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.