Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
im really like the zone alarm.. problem is fre version it´s too cut many good options disabled or not aviable
I just think opposite. It offers you basic firewall configuration + application control in learning mode lets you to trust/or not to trust anything you run

Also it seems firewall installed anti ransomware too, the blocking rate is somewhat 70% on the tests i have seen but firewall ( application control) probably gonna block everything anyways if theres anything suspicious going on

Bitdefender doesnt work with comodo firewall , so this is another way to go

bitdefender as av
Zonealarm as firewall
I have syshardener settings ( except the firewall rules arent valid since zonealarm is turned on)
OSA ( most of blocking rules enabled)

So i guess i have pretty much everything covered

zonealarm.png

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I just think opposite. It offers you basic firewall configuration + application control in learning mode lets you to trust/or not to trust anything you run

Also it seems firewall installed anti ransomware too, the blocking rate is somewhat 70% on the tests i have seen but firewall ( application control) probably gonna block everything anyways if theres anything suspicious going on

Bitdefender doesnt work with comodo firewall , so this is another way to go

bitdefender as av
Zonealarm as firewall
I have syshardener settings ( except the firewall rules arent valid since zonealarm is turned on)
OSA ( most of blocking rules enabled)

So i guess i have pretty much everything covered

View attachment 201732
I thought ZoneAlarm Antiransomware was only paid.Or maybe it's trial for some days?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Maybe it's an antiransomware component of the firewall and not the separate application.
ZoneAlarm Community Forums - Your ZoneAlarm Information Source

ZoneAlarm Forums are down temporarily undergoing a major upgrade.
We hope to be back online no later than Monday November 19th PST.

(y)

Anyways they offer 30 day trial on anti ransomware tool, but i wouldnt install it as trial ever...so its kinda stupid if its bundled as trial

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
One thing I've read, some time ago, was that ZA can be a pain to un-install. Just so you know. Otherwise it gets high marks overall. I wonder why more members don't use it?
There were alot discussion of zonealarm years ago everywhere, after that its been long forgotten,

On MalwareTips cs comodo is hyped too much. We need more discussion about zonealarm & tinywall etc.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There were alot discussion of zonealarm years ago everywhere, after that its been long forgotten,

On MalwareTips cs comodo is hyped too much. We need more discussion about zonealarm & tinywall etc.

Agreed on ZA. Not on TW. I use it and love it for its simplicity and manageability, but any new discussions will not go well even though it still functions without bugs on W10 it's not being developed as far as anyone can tell.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Why would anyone? There are KFA and KSCF with far better manegement, regular updates and bug fixes in regular patches. ZA is stuck in the past and only reason they are still in the market is because of Kasperskys engine, that's it.
Cloud still have bugs, even its released a while ago. KFA is superior, it doesnt even need help like osa/sh

I kinda want to go back to sh + light av + ransomOFF or either SH + comodo av to have auto-sandbox, or qihoo + sh

Its kinda sad i have to run zonealarm antiransomware wich is pretty weak, while having their firewall installed. And its bigger disappointment if its trial, without any info....and the trial expires some day

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Dude, move on, install your preffered antivirus solution/stay with the WD, and get started with the light-SRP what Andys Hard_Configurator offers, it's worth the effort and you will learn over time much more about vulnerable Windows procceses and how much importance it is to disable them, rather than chasing for perfect default-allow combo, it's just not there, I'm sorry, I was looking for one too. It's a myth that SRP is hard or have no usability, one just needs to have a willing to learn.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Dude, move on, install your preffered antivirus solution/stay with the WD, and get started with the light-SRP what Andys Hard_Configurator offers, it's worth the effort and you will learn over time much more about vulnerable Windows procceses and how much importance it is to disable them, rather than chasing for perfect default-allow combo, it's just not there, I'm sorry, I was looking for one too. It's a myth that SRP is hard or have no usability, one just needs to have a willing to learn.
Yeah i always end up stacking sws and theres memory usage for zero benefit, im not really getting infected randomly

I like syshardener alot, so i would probably stay syshardener + windows defender + some anti-exe ( i'd like to have re:hips but i cant isolate chrome there, but its not a huge loss....

Edit: gonna remove Zam + bitdefender + osa & rerun syshardener and stay with wd and start looking for some anti-exe, or try andys if it plays together with sh . I really hope theres no remnants after uninstalling all this crap (oops)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Why would anyone? There are KFA and KSCF with far better manegement, regular updates and bug fixes in regular patches. ZA is stuck in the past and only reason they are still in the market is because of Kasperskys engine, that's it.
Do you really think that ZoneAlarm is on the market just because of the Kaspersky engine? I spent a lot of time testing their products, and I can tell you is, they use very strong protection technologies, primarily in the ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, where has the Threat Emulation, that in my tests proved a flawless protection, protection in the cloud, BB efficiently, besides having one of the best firewall on the market (very strong) and be very lightweight, especially in navigation (different from Kaspersky). There's something I don't like, your interface, very old or strange, updates are not frequent as your AV is very well done, bug free and very stable, unlike most you have to fix bugs almost every week.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I was speaking to ZA Firewall specifically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor and stefanos

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Do you really think that ZoneAlarm is on the market just because of the Kaspersky engine? I spent a lot of time testing their products, and I can tell you is, they use very strong protection technologies, primarily in the ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, where has the Threat Emulation, that in my tests proved a flawless protection, protection in the cloud, BB efficiently, besides having one of the best firewall on the market (very strong) and be very lightweight, especially in navigation (different from Kaspersky). There's something I don't like, your interface, very old or strange, updates are not frequent as your AV is very well done, bug free and very stable, unlike most you have to fix bugs almost every week.
Any idea why the anti ransomware service (paid) is brought with free firewall installation?

Reactions: Nestor

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Agreed. That's why I'm on WD and VoodooShield Pro plus a couple of Andy's tools. It doesn't really matter what AV I use so why not use the built-in?

@Faybert - I'd like to see more hub testing of ZA myself, including FW, just to know about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.