Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I hope with auto-sandbox or auto-block
default block is the rule i use , yes
Anything that is untrusted will run in sandbox, so i really dont need to lotto is some antivirus catching them or not
The thing im lacking is signatures + webfilter ( i have decent from the browser extensions)

But i think i may add forticlient webfilter so i have everything covered and probably harden a bit of firewall rules with syshardener

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
default block is the rule i use , yes
Anything that is untrusted will run in sandbox, so i really dont need to lotto is some antivirus catching them or not
The thing im lacking is signatures + webfilter ( i have decent from the browser extensions)

But i think i may add forticlient webfilter so i have everything covered and probably harden a bit of firewall rules with syshardener
You don't need signatures,which already been totally improved,they will sandboxed.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
How is the system impact with ccav? Had to ditch cis because of the " system tray " bug , it took about 10 minutes to fully load. It was out of the question to acces the internet during this.why the change from win 10 to 8.1?

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
How is the system impact with ccav? Had to ditch cis because of the " system tray " bug , it took about 10 minutes to fully load. It was out of the question to acces the internet during this.why the change from win 10 to 8.1?
Same here with CIS,but only for 2 or 3 minutes so it's bearable.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
My hdd broke, had to replace with old one from secondary pc. I had only 8.1 disk lying around so i ran it and pretty much its much lighter than windows 10 does ( bloatfree) and the secondary updates running till 2023

CCAV is doing exact same thing as comodo firewall and isnt heavy at all

But i just messed something up today with syshardener, and decided to reset firewall / os rules and replace everything with comodo firewall

So im running comodo firewall + 8.1 windows windows defender right now, in overall 8.1 seemss to be alot lighter than 10 does..only problem i could think is end-game gaming wich is better with the 10 ( i dont do that all)

Windows defender on 8.1 installing signatures worse than in 10 ( manually forcing them) so i probably just hit bitdefender or either kaspersky to replace it later

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update:

Setup from now;
- Comodo firewall (cs)
- AVG antivirus free

Because kfa works well with cf, but installer says its incompatible makes me to forget it. And since bitdefender isnt combatible and forticlient has the restricted filter problems im going with AVG. Because it has no ads, and i already use googles servives, it doesnt hurt to use AVG at all

Also cf + avg free has been probably most lightest setup ive ever had , only turn-off was the telemetry/ conspiracy theories

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
I pity your system, the records must be a mess with remnants of previous facilities, since you change every day :eek:

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I pity your system, the records must be a mess with remnants of previous facilities, since you change every day :eek:
Ive never had any problems with the remnants of antiviruses

And i just ran clean 8.1 install last night, and since then i have only installed comodo firewall + now the avg and gonna run it like this from now...

The swapping has been anyways with the comodo products, kaspersky and avast/avg anyways

My hdd contains is pretty much antivirus + browser as i dont keep anything like pictures, videos etc on my computer

I just wanted to replace windows defender, since it keeps updating once a year in 8.1

avgggggggggg.png

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If you have made a back up of the clean installation of Windows 8.1 you can always restore from that back up
so no leftovers of av's on your system.
If you didn't made the back up then you just have to use a good uninstaller and also you have to do some manual removal of remannts

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you have made a back up of the clean installation of Windows 8.1 you can always restore from that back up
so no leftovers of av's on your system.
If you didn't made the back up then you just have to use a good uninstaller and also you have to do some manual removal of remannts
I always just enter bios > boot from 8.1 oem disk and clean disk > installing takes 5 minutes and theres zero remnants on disk

Im just curious will this ''kill'' hdd in long run, i usually format after new windows builds but as i can have 8.1 security updates till 2023 i just format 2-3 times a year manually.

And about the remnants antiviruses left , i guess security suites are even worse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Updated and installed win 10 back

Realtime antivirus + firewall:
+ Windows defender
+ Comodo firewall (cs)

Firefox nightly ( strict settings)
+ ublock origin
+ Netcraft
+ Bitdefender trafficlight

+´startpage as default search

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Updated and installed win 10 back

Realtime antivirus + firewall:
+ Windows defender
+ Comodo firewall (cs)

Firefox nightly ( strict settings)
+ ublock origin
+ Netcraft
+ Bitdefender trafficlight

+´startpage as default search
Why FF nightly?Is it lighter?

Reactions: tonibalas

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.