Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Moose’s World:

General computer knowledge: Average
Operating system: Windows 7 X64 Bits O.S. Ultimate SP1
OS architecture: X64 Bits O.S.
Non-admin account: Yes
Real-time protection: Comodo Internet Security, Malwarebtyes, Zemana Anti-Logger.
On-demand scanners: Comodo Cleaning Essential one a week scan, one a day with Hitman Pro, Virus Total. Uploader!
Browser(s): Comodo Dragon, and/or SRWare Iron and Explorer 9.
Browser Add-Ons: Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Last Pass, and WOT!
Virtualization/Rollback: Shadow Defender
Apps Hardening: EMET 2.1,
Process Monitor: Comodo Killswitch, Hijack free!
Update Checker: Secunia PSI 2.0
Recovery: Hiren Boot CD,
Moose's Toolbox: Combofix, Gmer, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, so-forth….
Create a System Restore one week!

I

illumination

With your real time protection, how is CIS and Malwarebytes getting along, would think there would be a conflict with this..

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
No conflicts at all CIS Pro compliment Malwarebytes. The reason for this is to help with blocking adware,spyware, cookies ect...

With the trial version of Malwarebytes their is a little conflict the first couple of days. The Pro version of Malwarebytes work much better all around.

Zemana AntiLogger only block keyloggers for me!

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Your configuration is solid in general, but it could be slimmed down, before that however:

I seriously DO NOT recommend using Combofix for whatever reason on your own, it's a powerful tool that used in the hands of an inexperienced user can ruin the OS. If you find yourself seriously infected, ask for help on a security forum offering support (eg. GeeksToGo, BleepingComputer or here). The same goes for process monitors, KillSwitch is a handy tool but can be dangerous all the same, as well GMER. You don't have to remove these tools, but not using them without assistance from someone more experienced can lead to more harm then good.

Other then that, how is Comodo Dragon working for you? Maybe you should consider using a browser like Firefox or Chrome, though this won't affect security significantly. Zemana AntiLogger also really isn't needed unless you do things like shop online, banking or deal with sensitive information. I like that you're strict about security, but perhaps creating restore points every week isn't needed so much, again just my option.

I

illumination

Moose said:
No conflicts at all CIS Pro compliment Malwarebytes. The reason for this is to help with blocking adware,spyware, cookies ect...

With the trial version of Malwarebytes their is a little conflict the first couple of days. The Pro version of Malwarebytes work much better all around.

Zemana AntiLogger only block keyloggers for me!

I was wondering, I have not used both in realtime. Your config is pretty solid!

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello Endejan,

I agree with above first paragraph 1000% I need help from time to time. I like KillSwitch in CCE's but sometime, I am not sure if the Malware detected is false positive.

FireFox has a serious problem with my I tunes,so I unnistall it for now. That is both Firefox and I tunes!
This happen about 3 Months ago!

Chrome I will install and redo a little bit! Meaning chancing the home page to https://encrypted.google.com/
Deeply, appreciate your insight and help!

Moose

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
If you're already using Dragon, there is no reason to install Chrome. I would go with Dragon or SRWare Iron over Chrome.

I definitely do not recommend running Malwarebytes real-time along with CIS. (I'm assuming you're using Defense+)

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello,HeffeD!

Yes, I am using Defense+! I am worry about getting a Rootkit and/or a piece of RamsomWare.
Also, I trying to make up my mind on a DNS service, and how to install the DNS which has a high
detection rate. Any Suggestions? Without any conflicts! :huh:

D

Deleted member 178

YEAH +rep for Moose, he made his own config ! at beginning i thought it was my old config thread when i used CIS :D

I recommend you to turn off MBAM real-time, Zemana do the same and it's less resources eater. dont worry for rootkit or ransomware, CIS and D+ do the job very well.

For DNS, i suggest you to download DNS Jumper and select Norton DNS.

You can remove either SWare Iron or Dragon, useless to have both of them. try to install the latest FF5 with the latest Itunes, i did it last month on my Gf system, i dont found any issues.

I highly recommend you to install a backup software like Paragon Backup & Recovery or Macrium (both are free), it is better than a basic system restore.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
There's always Norton DNS, which works just fine, not really as good as ClearCloud DNS was, but it's the next best thing in my option (since ClearCloud has been discontinued). You can find a guide on setting everything up here.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ransomware will be no problems in handling with CIS since the HIPS itself have the Buffer Overflow feature.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello umbrapolaris and endejan,

The reason for SWare Iron or Comodo Dragon, and Internet Explorer Browser 9 is if one the other Browsers become corrupt hopefully,I connect to the internet with on the other browser. I will check out Firefox 5!

Out the two Backup Software's which one you pick umbrapolaris and/or endejan? Paragon Backup & Recovery or Macrium Backup?

Endejan, Norton DNS I may need your help/guidance a little bit a have Zoomtown with Cincinnati Bell as my provider.
Any others suggestions are welcome, please! make comments! :huh:

Hello jamescv7:cool:

I appreciate your input jamescv7 about CIS Pro!

D

Deleted member 178

I will choose Paragon, when i used it , it never failed me.

download DNS Jumper, run it, select which network adapter you want the dns to be changed (i select all) then select the DNS you want and apply it.

DNS, to be simple, is like a huge Websites directory, your IP Dns will allow any adress to be reached, Norton DNS will remove the bad ones of the book.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Or if necessarily you want, Norton DNS have their web content filtering which can block more categories besides in malware/viruses.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Ransomware will be no problems in handling with CIS since the HIPS itself have the Buffer Overflow feature.

The BO protection is actually part of the AV.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DNS Jumper (v1.0.4) - If you want to simplify the options in the program, you can edit the .ini file.
http://www.sordum.com/?p=4573

Norton DNS also has Web Content Filtering (requires Norton Account).
http://nortondns.com/getstarted.html

To check if Norton DNS is setup correctly, visit:
http://setup.nortondns.com/

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello endejan and umbrapolaris,

I may need a little help setting up Norton DNS with the DNS Jumper!

I will look in to Firefox 5 along with the back ups. Out of the
two back ups which one would suggestion for back suggestion
and/or which one is the lightest?

Moose

DNS Jumper (v1.0.4) - If you want to simplify the options in the program, you can edit the .ini file.
http://www.sordum.com/?p=4573

Hello Earth,:)

Install Norton DNS, How do I Install the DNS Jumper? Also, how do I use this DNS Jumper? Not sure
about DSN Jumper? Could you explain, and what it exactly does? Many many thanks,

Moose

D

Deleted member 178

DNS Jumper dont need to be installed, just click the "DnsJumper.exe" file. select "all network cards" under "Network Card" then under "choose a free DNS server" select Norton (symantec) then go at the left side and click apply DNS. that is all.

DNS Jumper just allow you to easily change the server DNS instead of manually enter it in the network properties panel

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hello Umbrapolaris,

I will install Paragon tomorrow sometime. What is the Network Adapter?
I will download DNS Jumper and then,I will select all then apply Norton DNS!

Many many thanks,

Moose

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
HeffeD said:
If you're already using Dragon, there is no reason to install Chrome. I would go with Dragon or SRWare Iron over Chrome.

I definitely do not recommend running Malwarebytes real-time along with CIS. (I'm assuming you're using Defense+)
I would have to disagree. I would not go with Dragon or SRWare over Chrome.

From a purely security-based standpoint you're going to see fewer updates from Dragon and SRWare and therefor fewer patches.

SRWare's whole "gimmick" is that it provides privacy. Well... if you simply turn off a few features in Chrome they should offer you the same privacy. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/

I don't think that Dragon offers considerable security benefits over Chrome, especially Chrome 13/14, which have improved certification treatment a lot (I believe the main benefits of Dragon are also with cerrtifications.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.