Morro's Security Config

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Avast Free 2016 combined with SpyShelter Firewall, MCShield and CryptoPrevent.
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Zemana AntiMalware.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Slimjet ( Latest version ) with these extensions...

Magic Actions for YouTube™
Web Boost
Flash Video Downloader
uBlock Origin
Lastpass Free Password Manager
Supersorter
Privacy Badger
Reddit Enhancement Suite
Image in the center
Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller
SimpleExtManager
FlashControl
Atomic Bookmarks
Maintenance tools
CCleaner with CCEnhanced and PrivaZer.
File and Photo backup
AOMEI Backupper Professional

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks for updating your config :)
I would strongly suggest you enable UAC to at least default

I realize that it adds extra security, but every time I tried it again it sooner or later drove me nuts. I do not know which settings I tried, but I just can not seem to get myself to activate UAC and keep it activated? The UAC is a very awkward and annoying thing for me. :(

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I realize that it adds extra security, but every time I tried it again it sooner or later drove me nuts. I do not know which settings I tried, but I just can not seem to get myself to activate UAC and keep it activated? The UAC is a very awkward and annoying thing for me. :(

I have heard good things about VoodoSheild. Never tried it but I am believe it is something that can be used as a replacement for UAC. Don't quote me on it though. I am a novice in the sea of geniuses in this fourm. :p

Reactions: Logethica and Morro

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I have heard good things about VoodoSheild. Never tried it but I am believe it is something that can be used as a replacement for UAC. Don't quote me on it though. I am a novice in the sea of geniuses in this fourm. :p

I think I used it for a while when it first got known to more people, but I have no idea any more as to what I thought about it back then? As such I have no idea how good the current ( Free? ) version is. Also it remains to be seen if it can work beside the Anti virus I use. Guess I will take a look at their website later this evening. ( Hey give me a break, one of the Hobit movies is on TV this evening, and breaks are to short to do a decent read on VoodooShield. :) )

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Hmm I checked the Website from VoodooShield, and I have indeed used it before a long time ago. But still I do not remember how good it was ... or is now. I also saw the difference between the Free and Pro version ...

VoodoShield%20Free%20vs%20Pro_zpsbpxkzjbh.jpg

No adjustable user settings ... nag screens ( At certain moments I guess. ) those are things I do not like at all. I do not know if Advanced Snapshot is useful. And I do not care if a Free version has Enterprise Features or Customer Support, from what I have seen on the internet those two features are often for payed versions only any way.

Still thank you for mentioning it to me J Gamez065. :)

L

Lucent Warrior

Im having a little trouble wrapping my head around why UAC is awkward and and annoying for you. UAC works at the kernel level and controls which applications are allowed Administrative privileges/access. You are literally allowing everything on your PC full access to everything with UAC diasabled, hence why Umbra stated it is a {no-no}

The part im having trouble with, is you will use applications like voodooshield which will require user intervention forcing you to make choices, but yet, UAC is just too much?

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Im having a little trouble wrapping my head around why UAC is awkward and and annoying for you. UAC works at the kernel level and controls which applications are allowed Administrative privileges/access. You are literally allowing everything on your PC full access to everything with UAC diasabled, hence why Umbra stated it is a {no-no}

The part im having trouble with, is you will use applications like voodooshield which will require user intervention forcing you to make choices, but yet, UAC is just too much?

I am "trying out" VoodooShield at the moment, and since I installed it, it has given less pop ups so far then UAC did. ( I tried UAC again first, at advised setting and lowest setting. ) When I hat UAC active it would even pop up when I tried to Install Lastpass ... which is a known and trusted software? ( And I downloaded it from their official website. )

It pops up a warning to often, so that is why I think ( And finally know ) it is awkward and annoying. I will not activate UAC again.

Reactions: Logethica
L

Lucent Warrior

I am "trying out" VoodooShield at the moment, and since I installed it, it has given less pop ups so far then UAC did. ( I tried UAC again first, at advised setting and lowest setting. ) When I hat UAC active it would even pop up when I tried to Install Lastpass ... which is a known and trusted software? ( And I downloaded it from their official website. )

It pops up a warning to often, so that is why I think ( And finally know ) it is awkward and annoying. I will not activate UAC again.
It is your PC and your choice, just understand the consequences.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When I had UAC active it would even pop up when I tried to Install Lastpass ... which is a known and trusted software? ( And I downloaded it from their official website. )

User Access Control is independent of the files reputation, does not matter if it's "Known" or "Trusted", UAC will intervene if the application is requesting higher than standard user rights.

"User Account Control (UAC) helps prevent malicious programs (also called malware) from damaging a computer and helps organizations deploy a better-managed desktop.

With UAC, applications and tasks always run in the security context of a non-administrator account, unless an administrator specifically authorizes administrator-level access to the system. UAC can block the automatic installation of unauthorized applications and prevent inadvertent changes to system settings."​

How UAC Works
Understanding User Account Control in Windows 7

Trying to understand, if UAC blocking unauthorised system modifications is annoying, why run an antivirus or network monitor to detect anomalies? An antivirus will still scan a legitimate file from the Internet, even if it's from the official site.

Wouldn't you consider that it's wasting resources and slowing down performance?

Bottom line: UAC has far greater benefits, but only after you understand how it works, instead of assumptions.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
There is a way do disable UAC but still keeps all apps not elevated.
1/ set UAC to lowest
2/
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
"EnableLUA" set to 1
3/ reboot

when you need to give administrator permission, you have to right-click and run as administrator

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain How does that help? I checked the Registry and EnableLUA was already set as 1.
if enableLUA = 0 and UAC is off, all processes will be set elevated, which decreases system security
if you have UAC enabled at any level, enableLUA is 1 by default

UAC=off + enableLUA=1 = few UAC popups, keeps most apps not elevated. Windows 10 apps and Edge browser can run with this setting (while uac off + LUA=0 cannot)
I feel this setup + voodooshield is even better than UAC max. Voodooshield 327 beta actually asked me something which UAC didn't

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
There is a way do disable UAC but still keeps all apps not elevated.
1/ set UAC to lowest
2/
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
"EnableLUA" set to 1
3/ reboot

when you need to give administrator permission, you have to right-click and run as administrator

Hmm I have that one already set to 1, so it should be okay then? Meaning that some how some where in the past I did this without knowing about your tip before? ( Or was it simply already left at that when i disabled UAC? )

It pops up a warning to often, because you run to many new things !? :p

LoL perhaps, but I was way worse when I first started using Security software and related programs. :) But that was a long ... long time ago. I have learned. ( A bit. :) )

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hmm I have that one already set to 1, so it should be okay then? Meaning that some how some where in the past I did this without knowing about your tip before? ( Or was it simply already left at that when i disabled UAC? )
open task manager -> right-click in Name or CPU or anything-> select columns -> Check "Elevated"
if you see at least 1 app has "Elevated" = No it should be fine then. nothing is needed to change

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
open task manager -> right-click in Name or CPU or anything-> select columns -> Check "Elevated"
if you see at least 1 app has "Elevated" = No it should be fine then. nothing is needed to change

I was checking the wrong tab at first. :rolleyes:

But yeah there are quit a few who have Elevated rights, thank you Evjl's Rain. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.