So, what are the most important layers to cover when we deal with our security config?
- Browser: the browser is very very important because it is the most direct software wich interacts with the web. In the web we can find malicious URLs, phishing URLs, malicious scripts, etc.
- Real-Time/File Monitor: AVs, Anti-EXE, AntiMalware applications with realtime protection, etc.
- On-demand scanners
- Documents viewer: a lot of malware samples are macro malware and exploits (they infect via malicious documents, so please be sure to choose a secure documents viewer which permits also to disable macros)
- Sandboxing/VM: it's good to browse the web with sandbox applications, like Sandboxie Free.
- Backups: backups are fundamental in case of infection for example.
- UAC, OS updates and SmartScreen: they are fundamental to prevent malware. OS updates can fix vulnerabilities and security problems.
- Firewall: it's important to monitor our network.