Most important layers in security setup

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I always use verified and popular extensions developed by trusted sources, for now I only use uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere, I will add Netcraft in the near future. Without extensions, browsing the web could be dangerous because of malicious URLs, scripts, etc.

I also use some extensions for safer browsing but Google’s safe browsing is pretty good left on its own product - to the extent that I wonder if addons and also web filtration by internet security suites are really adding any value

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The issue is that the only real protection you have against malicious extensions is what Google/Mozilla/Opera, etc. implement on their end, and that protection has been proven to be absolute garbage.
I guess I have seen different tests than you did, including my own.. :unsure:

There's no way to know about an extension you're using changing ownership or know if that new owner were to push an update to said extension which contained malicious code.
The browser clearly says, what permissions for each extension are, not based on the description, but based on what it actually asks for.

Frankly, if an extension isn't supported by a reputable, commercial entity then I'd argue it's undeserving of trust security-wise.
Avast released hacked CCleaner, so reputable does not really guarantee anything these days. S*** happens. Benefits overweight the risks though.

Furthermore, there are more not covered by this (PowerShell, HTA, BAT, CMD, CHM, etc.).
Funny thing is, that DisableCMD in HKLM also disables Windows, including Safe Mode, last time I checked it worked on Windows 10 as well.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Funny thing is, that DisableCMD in HKLM also disables Windows, including Safe Mode, last time I checked it worked on Windows 10 as well.
There is the right way to do it, that disables CMD only for the particular account (you know it already). :giggle:
But, this can disable some BATs used by Intel to autostart its gadgets. Also OneDrive uses CMD to delete leftovers after updates, and some USB hubs can use BATs, etc. So, disabling CMD have to be made by the advanced user. Furthermore, CMD without admin rights is commonly used to create/download/execute more powerful script types or PowerShell commands.

Disabling Windows Script Host script execution, MSHTA interpreter, and restricting PowerShell, will work without problems on most computers in the home environment. They are used by most of malicious scripts (over 90%).

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just don't open files with these extensions unless you are absolutely sure that this file is safe.
Often, a malicious script is served up in a fileless form. That's why you need to monitor or disable the interpreters themselves. The easier way to do this is with a good anti-exe program or software restriction policy.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
First time readers does not learn [edited] by reading all of this when user is suggested to install A B C softs to be protected, just copy whatever is said believing it's any good, brake their own systems and then come into forums and cry.
Reminds me of the oneplus forums. Oneplus releases beta build > people hurry to download it to access android p > thousands of indian people crying that oneplus broke their phone > oneplus sux

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I always use verified and popular extensions developed by trusted sources, for now I only use uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere, I will add Netcraft in the near future. Without extensions, browsing the web could be dangerous because of malicious URLs, scripts, etc.
About netcraft, it did not block some phishing sites wich bitdefender trafficlight did. Using both myself now

Do they add any value to my web browsing? Maybe not, but atleast i feel more safe

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I guess I have seen different tests than you did, including my own.. :unsure:
I have neither seen nor conducted any tests involving malicious extensions.
The browser clearly says, what permissions for each extension are, not based on the description, but based on what it actually asks for.
Most extensions related to protection ask for this permission: "Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites that you visit".
If an extension has this permission and goes rogue, everything in your browser is compromised.
Avast released hacked CCleaner, so reputable does not really guarantee anything these days. S*** happens. Benefits overweight the risks though.
True, but the CCleaner incident was a unique case. It's not reflective of a wider trend. On the other hand, extension developers who's extensions have high-level permissions and sizeable user bases get monetary offers by potentially malicious actors all the time.

I'm not suggesting dumping all extensions, I'm just saying to err on the side of caution in regards to them. They're an infection vector too few people think about.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Just don't open files with these extensions unless you are absolutely sure that this file is safe.
The problem with scripts is that they can be run after opening/playing many other files.
So, even if you do not open HTA, CHM, JS, or VBS files at all, then there are many other file types (documents, templates, several types of shortcuts, media files, etc.) which can run scripts or the script code by using VBA macros, exploits or directly (like shortcuts with command lines).
Some scripting engines can also run scripts with any file extension (MSHTA, WScript).
For example the commandline "mshta c:\somefolder\malware.fake", can run the JavaScript code from the malware.fake file (renamed malware.hta file).(y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

The problem with scripts is that they can be run after opening/playing many other files.
So, even if you do not open HTA, CHM, JS, or VBS files at all, then there are many other file types (documents, templates, several types of shortcuts, media files, etc.) which can run scripts or the script code by using VBA macros, exploits or directly (like shortcuts with command lines).
Some scripting engines can also run scripts with any file extension (MSHTA, WScript).
For example the commandline "mshta c:\somefolder\malware.fake", can run the JavaScript code from the malware.fake file (renamed malware.hta file).(y)
+1, not saying ADS and other oneliners.

Reactions: Andy Ful

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Yes I know. However harden your OS to disable file associations with those extensions is not a bad idea.

Reactions: Andy Ful

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
About netcraft, it did not block some phishing sites wich bitdefender trafficlight did. Using both myself now

Do they add any value to my web browsing? Maybe not, but atleast i feel more safe
Yes, they add value to your security against phishing and malicious sites.

Reactions: Moonhorse

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Often, a malicious script is served up in a fileless form. That's why you need to monitor or disable the interpreters themselves. The easier way to do this is with a good anti-exe program or software restriction policy.
Yes, but atleast I am protected against not fileless malicious scripts.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I also use some extensions for safer browsing but Google’s safe browsing is pretty good left on its own product - to the extent that I wonder if addons and also web filtration by internet security suites are really adding any value
As I replied to @Moonhorse they add a great value to your security.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes I know. So harden your OS to disable file associations with those extensions is not a bad idea.
Yes, for users who are going to run script files by themselves (casual users). Yet, this kind of protection can be bypassed when the script is run by opening documents, media files, or shortcuts. Disabling the second possibility is not easy. The stronger script blocking can be done by blocking the script interpreters by hash. The other way (not recomended) is blocking script engine DLLs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.