Troubleshoot Motherboard?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
This morning I went to turn on my Dell desktop and looks like there is power but it doesn't boot up. Screen stays black. I am not even able to get into the BIOS.
In the past I was able to just restore an image but this seems more hardware related. I don't think it is the hard drive and the RAM isn't more then a few years old. I tried a different keyboard but that is about it. As mentioned pressing F2 or F12 does nothing.
Any ideas?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Have one PC that constantly has done this for years in various. The thing that seemed to work best was (POWER OFF O/C)->Disconnect and reconnect the power connections to the motherboard.

Sometimes it could take many tries here (like 2 dozen), but after removing RAM and reseating it and then cleaning the PC and generally looking after the detailing, it began to boot reliably. It took months to get it booting correctly...not that it will take you that long o/c. This PC still has a problem cutting out sometimes. Think it has something to do with core 2 quad processors. Seen alot of issues out there about this with those CPUs.

If you have a separate PSU you might try that. If the PC is important enough to you, just keep trying as long as possible. This is just based on what I experienced with this...

Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
If the computer turns on, fans run, but nothing appears on the screen then the problems might be:

- Monitor does not work
- Monitor cable/ connection problem
- Video card with false contacts or damaged.

Excluding what I said above it is difficult to diagnose your problem.
Usually if the HDD is damaged, you should get messages like "bootmgr is missing" or similar, but if you can't enter the BIOS, a problem with the motherboard is not to be excluded.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
OK I switched monitors and that worked. Here is what I found. First I am connected to a TV that uses HDMI and RGB.
When I switched monitors it was an RGB. And so I rehooked up my TV-monitor and in settings chose RGB-PC and it booted up fine.
Next my TV has 3 HDMI ports and I had tried all three and so it is my PC HDMI port that is bad.
Only problem is when using HDMI port I had sound to my TV plus video. Now I have to use ear buds till I can get a cable to hook up my PC sound to TV.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.