Mozilla’s setting up shop on Mastodon and trying to reinvent content moderation

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you want to be a member of Mozilla.Social, Mozilla’s new Mastodon instance, you’re not allowed to harass other users. You’re also not allowed to use derogatory language about gender, sex, sexual orientation, race, age, ability, or any other “physical, social or cultural attributes or classifications.” You can’t spread misinformation and disinformation, either. Or impersonate someone. Some of these are normal policies, some are unusually heavy-handed, and they’re all hard to litigate. But Mozilla’s stance is pretty simple and extremely unusual in the social media universe: if it’s debatable, it’s gone. “We’re not going to advertise that we’re some kind of neutral platform,” says Steve Teixeira, Mozilla’s chief product officer. He says...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, that is correct. Mozilla's new Mastodon instance, Mozilla.Social, has strict moderation policies that prohibit harassing other users, using derogatory language about certain characteristics, spreading misinformation and disinformation, and impersonating someone. Their policy is to remove any content that is questionable or debatable to maintain a safe and respectful environment for all users.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Good old Moz, always trying to be user-friendly. :love: Literally! Think this'll succeed? The browser market share isn't so hot--under 10% and falling, it seems. I hope it all works out for Moz, I really do.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I wish them luck, but I think it will die under the weight of its own policy.

The beauty of decentralised social media though is the ability to block a specific instance if you find their content offensive without losing access to the whole shebang. Your own moderator function in effect.

But, more power to them.

• Applause
Reactions: plat and vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.