AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Got this from the Qihoo news app. Looked in extensiions and sure enough it was there:

Mozilla faces blowback after slipping Mr Robot plugin into Firefox

I thought Mozilla was dedicated to more secure computing, but this goes hard against that trend. This is a creepy as $%^& activity for Mozilla to get into. It's gone now from PCs here, but who knows what was in the add on...

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
From your theverge.com link:
"There are several scary things about this:

- Unknown Mozilla developers can distribute addons to users without their permission

- Mozilla developers can distribute addons to users without their knowledge

- Mozilla developers themselves don't realise the consequences of doing this

- Experiments are not explicitly enabled by users

- Opening the addons window reverts configuration changes which disable experiments

- The only way to properly disable this requires fairly arcane knowledge Firefox preferences (lockpref(), which I'd never heard of until today)"

Hey Mozilla, bad move!

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I'm not thrilled with this what-so-ever. I saw this on my computer this morning and took it off on sight and scanned the world out of my computer. All came up clean, but I will report back if I see anything.

Thanks for posting this on MT! Watch out and keep your eyes open folks. Not good...

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That was stupid of Mozilla, I am saying stupid cause for all other guys (who doesn't watch the show) it was irritating, like an Ad.
They have done this before by integrating 'Pocket'. It was forced on all users. Just not cool.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
What? That is a horrible decision by Mozilla, are they trying to copy M$ by installing things without the user's permission?

I checked my Firefox, fortunately it did not have this extension either.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Interesting, negative point for Mozilla. But the funny thing is Qihoo talking about it, Qihoo, which in addition to being weak, picks up your data and sells it to third parties.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.