Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 66 will introduce a series of changes for extensions, which Mozilla says should improve the performance of these add-ons, while also reducing the memory footprint of the browser.

The upcoming version of the application will require extensions to use IndexedDB as the backend for local storage, thus giving up on JSON files.

The migration will be conducted all automatically and neither developers nor users need to do anything about it, as the whole process would be performed when Firefox 66 is installed.

“This change is completely transparent to extension developers – you do not need to do anything to take advantage of this improvement. When users upgrade to Firefox 66, the local storage JSON file is silently migrated to IndexedDB,” Mike Conca, Product Manager, Firefox WebExtensions, explains.

“All extensions using the storage.local() API immediately realize the benefits, especially if they store small changes to large structures, as is true for ad-blockers, the most common and popular type of extension used in Firefox.”

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I still can't use Firefox with MalwareTips for some reason. Haven't bothered to download it since even after seeing what the problem was via extensions.

~LDogg

Reactions: Weebarra

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
also reducing the memory footprint of the browser.
Ohh the irony! In settings I have set it to use only one content process. With only 2 tabs open this is the amount of RAM it uses, look at the "private bytes" and it keeps going up until system hangs. Ublock Origin the only addon currently in use. Same thing even w/o it.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Ohh the irony! In settings I have set it to use only one content process. With only 2 tabs open this is the amount of RAM it uses, look at the "private bytes" and it keeps going up until system hangs. Ublock Origin the only addon currently in use. Same thing even w/o it.
View attachment 213545
I just test my firefox 67 with 2 tabs open youtube tab playing same video you have on pause on your screenshot and with much more add-ons installed but the results are very different.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just test my firefox 67 with 2 tabs open youtube tab playing same video you have on pause on your screenshot and with much more add-ons installed but the results are very different.
View attachment 213548
All I can say is this bug is weird. What's you graphics card model and Windows version, cause I think this issue is a combination of Win 10 v1903, intel graphics and Firefox.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
All I can say is this bug is weird. What's you graphics card model and Windows version, cause I think this issue is a combination of Windows 10 v1903, intel graphics and Firefox.
Lenovo laptop with Win7 x64 Intel HD Graphics (Core i5)

Reactions: brambedkar59

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.