Mozilla lays off 70 employees to prepare for tough years ahead (Update: 250)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yep, it's that or sell your data. I want to contribute, but don't want to throw money at it if it's going to fail.
I learned by looking into it a bit The Mozilla Foundation (not-for-profit) that you donate to filters very little of that money into the fully owned subsidiary The Mozilla Corp (for-profit that develops Firefox), due to regulations and tax reasons. Most of Their money comes from the google search deal, the rest is from their VPN, Pocket Premium, password manager subs etc.. So if you want to support Firefox you would do it best by paying for a VPN sub? Or maybe Pocket Premium? Either way, this could be the sign of the end times, or they could become a leaner even more niche product. Since they dumped their threat team I’d be interested to see how secure the browser stays.

klepto

Level 2
Jun 14, 2020
Its sad, I've been with Mozilla from the good/bad early days. Having one company that is responsible for the majority of internet browsing is not a good idea. There are a lot of eye balls on Google but they do eventually plan on eliminating ad blockers so their own ads are more visible. Throwing money at the people who make these ad blockers wasn't the right move for them, change some terms of service and remove them from your web store. It pains me just to say the word, 'web store'. :p Btw Temporary containers is really good but with a few issue fixes it will be great.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Well it may be time to move on from firefox...as I type this in Firefox.
I feel the same. I use Brave and have looked at Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit)

I'm not sold on the latter yet, its to do with my long time inbuilt G**gle blocker, based on their "Don't be evil" fake philosphy. Yes, I do know its supposed to be cleaned up, but... As for Brave I do like it, but they have not exactly kept to their script of being a safer browser with some of their antics.

I've been a Firefox user since it was first on the scene and I have long sang its praises, but losing its threat team makes no sense to me if it wants to remain viable after other recent developments. Firefox offshoots like PaleMoon and WaterFox get stick for being such small developments that they cannot possibly react to new threats immediately; now Firefox appears to have joined them in that respect.

I feel homeless.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, I do know its supposed to be cleaned up, but...
It’s supposed to be cleaned up?

Anyway, I may give Brave a try again, but I am also wary of their antics. Honestly looking at all the recent studies maybe going back to Chrome with a couple privacy extensions and tweaks will be my course. I like Edge, but google already has so much info on me why spread it to more corporations?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It’s supposed to be cleaned up?

I just don't know who to trust online these days, vendors claim that something is clean, testers prove otherwise shortly afterwards. I don't have any proof that 'clean' versions of Chromium are anything but clean, just deeply sceptical, cynical, approaching old age!!!

Anyway, I may give Brave a try again, but I am also wary of their antics. Honestly looking at all the recent studies maybe going back to Chrome with a couple privacy extensions and tweaks will be my course. I like Edge, but google already has so much info on me why spread it to more corporations?

Brave seems to be where I'll be browsing mostly from now on.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Wow just when i got to enjoy firefox by having some nice about:configs over chromium makes it look awful that they have kicked off their threat team

Maybe its time to move to yandex once again, since they have extension support for android browser too...aswell kaspersky just enabled protection for it

Atleast yandex dont censor their searches like all other search engines do

edit: yandex has been changed so much....just horrified and removed it :oops:

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Wait what! Other browsers like Chrome, Edge don't have this?
Will come to Edge soon...
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-12 155313.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As for Brave I do like it, but they have not exactly kept to their script of being a safer browser with some of their antics.
Anyway, I may give Brave a try again, but I am also wary of their antics.
They have features like Rewards/Ads that users may disable. And they've made one or two mistakes which they've quickly owned up to. I don't see anything shady about them as everything they've done has been above board.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
To be honest I dont know lets see what happen and maybe i would move to Brave or Edge...

Dunno, Firefox is not dying because of this....and if we have tough years ahead most users probably said that years ago aswell (that firefox is not going right way, actually same with the opera..people complaining everyday on opera browser channel that opera 12 was the best , but still they use opera this day)

I dont care about vpn stuff, and its hard to implement paywall to browser itself so its interesting to see whats happening over this year as the google contract probably will lay off

But in my opinion what i have used firefox this year more than ever, i have loved about:config updates alot....the fenix aka new android browser is awesome ( ublock origin etc. included...but still people complaining you cant add any extensions you want to have)

Soooo currently firefox is the best browser for mobile phones, tablets etc. And on desktop its currently hard to find any chromium browser wich does stuff better than ff ( my opinion)

TLDR: Firefox users dont rush, i do alot and its not worth it:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.