Mozilla Rushes To Release Firefox 9.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Mozilla Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

The Web is all about innovation, and Firefox sets the pace with dozens of new features to deliver a faster, more secure and customizable Web browsing experience for all.

User Experience. The enhancements to Firefox provide the best possible browsing experience on the Web. The new Firefox smart location bar, affectionately known as the "Awesome Bar," learns as people use it, adapting to user preferences and offering better fitting matches over time.

Performance. Firefox is built on top of the powerful new Gecko platform, resulting in a safer, easier to use and more personal product.

Security. Firefox raises the bar for security. The new malware and phishing protection helps protect from viruses, worms, trojans and spyware to keep people safe on the Web.

Customization. Everyone uses the Web differently, and Firefox lets users customize their browser with more than 5,000 add-ons.

Download: Firefox 9.0 for Windows | 14.6 MB (Freeware)
Download: Firefox 9.0 for Linux | 17 MB
Download: Firefox 9.0 for MacOS | 30.8 MB
View: Firefox Website | 9.0 Changelog | (not yet released)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Firefox 9.0 released

I can't notice any difference. By looking at the Change log it's only security updates.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

Already updated mine.
QLoW3.png

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011

I have also update to Firefox 9.0. For those of you who may use VTzilla you may have to reinstall this add-on. The Firefox update said it was not compatible and will be disabled. The only option in the Firefox Add-ons Manager after the update was to remove VTzilla. A reinstall from the VirusTotal website fixed the problem.

Here is a direct link to the VTzilla Firefox plugin.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

This
Just security Update.

this for release note:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9.0/releasenotes/

YcWx6.png

this for changelog:
- Added Type Inference, significantly improving JavaScript performance
- Improved theme integration for Mac OS X Lion
- Added two finger swipe navigation for Mac OS X Lion
- Added support for querying Do Not Track status via JavaScript
- Added support for font-stretch
- Improved support for text-overflow
- Improved standards support for HTML5, MathML, and CSS
- Fixed several stability issues
- Fixed several security issues

Sources: http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/changelog/

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Even its a security update, I'm gradually forwarded on every version released as it made lots of changes and squashed the bugs.

MDRockstar

Dec 14, 2011

For me i think that version 9 is indeed faster than version 8. Am i the only one to see that firefox become lighter and faster with each release?

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

Updated.
Still has a bug that makes text bigger than it should be. also, why won't firefox auto update?! I have to update manually every time.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011

It should Auto update. Do you have the correct settings? (Silly question)

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox#w_how-do-i-configure-update-options

Or maybe it's possible it doesn't Auto Update to new major versions, only point releases.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

I have settings at default, and the auto-update option is ticked, so it's not the settings.
When i go to "About Firefox" it says an update is available and gives a link to firefox.com.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011

Now FF 9.01 has been rushed out, apparently 9.0 has some type of bug but not sure what it is.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
The latest stable version of the Firefox browser has been released yesterday by Mozilla. We have reviewed Firefox 9 a day before the official release to inform users about the changes, and to provide everyone with links to download the version a day early.

A new version of Firefox appeared on the official Mozilla ftp server today, only a day after the release of Firefox 9. News about the release of Firefox 9.0.1 are scarce at the moment.

The only indicator is a critical bug listing on Bugzilla that was likely the cause for the rushed new version. Bug 712490, Tracking bug for build and release of Firefox 9.0.1, does not reveal additional information about the nature of the bug. The only information to gather from the bug listing is that it affects all Firefox platforms and versions.

sources

CguVP.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

bo.elam said:
mhartsellm said:
Now FF 9.01 has been rushed out, apparently 9.0 has some type of bug but not sure what it is.
It was a bug on tabs.

Bo

This whole rapid release cycle isn't working out, is it?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Earth said:
bo.elam said:
mhartsellm said:
It was a bug on tabs.

Bo

This whole rapid release cycle isn't working out, is it?

No it isn't with all of the complaints on the Mozilla forums, they should know it isn't working by now.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not surprise as since they released major version they always caught a bug and released a minor version there.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
I think their rapid release is actually good. The curve on features/release has been smoothed. That is good. We now need less time to get used to the new stuff.

On the tabbed browsing bug, it's good they caught it and fixed but I wish I did not have to resort to plugins for tab management. Few days ago I was on my Kubuntu install and I was waiting for a screen-cast to start and meanwhile I was looking for some documentation. While doing this I ended up having 20+ tabs open. And then the screen-cast starts. I had to sift through all my tabs :/ If I had only like 20 windows open I could have invoked the "expose" effect and quickly located the screen-cast.

Meanwhile I found "Showcase" that does present the opened tabs in a manner that makes it easy to quickly find the pages you need. Still, tabbed browsing on composited (gnome + compiz, unity + compiz, kwin + it own compositor, Mac OS X) desktops is a big no-no. Yeah, I did not include Aero in the above list because, while it is indeed a composited desktop, MS, "forgot" to steal that bit of desktop awesomeness that "expose" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.