Nil
System recovery
Nil

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nope if ur pc infected with virus, sometimes system restore won't work coz they will get infected too. Yeah window backup is good too but if u want extra features like compression, password protection etc then u can try third party backup programs.

I never use to have any virus related stuff problem, i made backup just because i always create some problem in PC , Most problem is caused because i Install & Uninstall software a lot, & that problem can only repaired by Re-Installing Windows so updating windows again & again takes a lot time that's why i thought of Creating Backup.

But Surely whenever i want a another backup software i will use Macrium as it is a great backup software.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Uninstalled KIS, I was feeling very minor slow startup, so i just think uninstalling KIS & see if the boot up became fast or not, what i noticed same bootup time.
Now i am fed up changing AV's really i feel very secure while using Windows Defender.
Now i am thinking of sticking to Windows Defender & i just want to ask what should i take care of while using Windows Defender.
Any additional tool you would suggest while Windows Defender.

Would you suggest Windows 8 Firewall Control, as i am not good at configuring Windows Firewall using Control Panel.

@Huracan @MrXidus I guess you are very experienced user of Windows 8.1 Security Setup.
Any Suggestion.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've only changed the MAPS to Advanced membership, but please review what gets submitted before choosing that option, or disable it. Also you can configure these in the Settings > Advanced. I rarely run a Full Scan, therefore Scan Removable Drives is left unchecked.

Just noticed this now: "Create a system restore point before removing, running or quarantining detected items." o_O
upload_2014-6-24_17-57-30.png

In CCleaner, de-select Windows Defender if you do not wish recent scan history files to be removed. If cleaned, may cause some issues with WD saying a scan hasn't been performed.
upload_2014-6-24_18-2-6.png

Use Windows Disk Cleanup to clean up old WD files and definitions. May need to Run as Admin.
upload_2014-6-24_18-7-29.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) is bad no ?
No. It's a very good product with a responsible end-user, plus MS are changing their rules for removing Adware starting July 1st.

@MrExplorer
Not unless your parents are monitoring your PC actions, I can't think of a reason to have an Anti-Logger installed. Chrome extensions, just use whatever you're comfortable with, remember to check what permissions they need before using. :D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) is bad no ?

For Example, you are using Kaspersky Internet Security & disabled it firewall, application control & Behavior Blocker & than you will test Kaspersky do you think that Kaspersky will protect you from viruses, i would say no.

So similarly if you will just test Windows Defender, you will not use UAC & Smart Screen & Windows Firewall in your test, it would not protect you.

& even Chrome Phishing Blocking is very good & even you can try some extension like WOT, AbBlocker etc...

Yes, One thing i agree is WINDOWS DEFENDER | SMART SCREEN | USER ACCESS CONTROL | WINDOWS FIREWALL all these can protect you in a better way if you use visit or download files from trusted sources, even if user want himself to be protected.

If you are afraid of viruses from web, than surely try K9 Web-Protection

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Removed Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 - By Seeing many Test videos, I am not impressed with the Protection, thats why uninstalled.

Any Suggestion what should i try.

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Bro, My Screen is a small that's why Emsisoft is not a good choice for me, I have used ESET for too many years, So i want to switch to any other av.
I'm having the same thought as you, eset used for many years, which to me has reached a point that I decided to change. Tired of eset and also miss a good and proactive defense tools. What remained was Emsisoft me, I do not see any big free av, both have their positives and negatives

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I'm having the same thought as you, eset used for many years, which to me has reached a point that I decided to change. Tired of eset and also miss a good and proactive defense tools. What remained was Emsisoft me, I do not see any big free av, both have their positives and negatives

Same here, Even I am tired of ESET, than my 2nd option was Emsisoft but Its big UI make me not use that,

I am thinking of using this.

avast! Free + Windows Firewall + Smart Screen + UAC + AdGaurd + DoNotTrackMe + WOT + LastPass + VirusTotal Scanner + OnDemand Scanner + K9 Web-Protection.

Not Sure about K9 Web-Protection.

Setting For Above Apps:
  • avast! Free: Enable Hardened Mode & PUP Detection.
  • AdGuard: Enable Malicious Web-Blocking.
  • OnDemand Scanner: Hitman Pro & MalwareBytes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.