MRG Effitas MRG Effitas 360 Assessment & certification Q2 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The most surprising thing was Windows Defender totally failed in the Exploit/Fileless samples test. Missed 100%.
I'm pretty sure that manually configuring the exploit settings in Windows security centre would take care of a lot if not all of that. And the tests are run at default so we have to take that into consideration too.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
What are those configuration? I don't much about Windows Defender so willing to know.

Manually configuring the program settings for installed software and browsers etc plus enabling any system exploit protection settings that may be off by default (I think there's only 1 or 2 system ones turned off by default) But configuring the program exploit settings manually would add extra protection.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What are those configuration? I don't much about Windows Defender so willing to know.

You can add exploit protection to any browser. Just click on Program Settings as in above post and add the browser of your choice, then check boxes as shown in this post

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
No Gdata in this test :( I know GData is not so good against scripts etc, because their Deepray only analyze PE headers of the files. That is why GData usually cant catch power(s)hell, vbs etc script ones. What i do like, their Deepray, catch a lot of unknown stuff. Gdata with OSarmor and Spyshelter with ZA Pro firewall , i feel pretty safe tho.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks. I'll look into it.
Manually configuring the program settings for installed software and browsers etc plus enabling any system exploit protection settings that may be off by default (I think there's only 1 or 2 system ones turned off by default) But configuring the program exploit settings manually would add extra protection.
You can add exploit protection to any browser. Just click on Program Settings as in above post and add the browser of your choice, then check boxes as shown in this post

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
No Gdata in this test :( I know GData is not so good against scripts etc, because their Deepray only analyze PE headers of the files. That is why GData usually cant catch power(s)hell, vbs etc script ones. What i do like, their Deepray, catch a lot of unknown stuff. Gdata with OSarmor and Spyshelter with ZA Pro firewall , i feel pretty safe tho.
Again "feelings" involved when talking about security? Either you know for a fact it's truth what you are saying, or it's how you "feel" towards GData, their protection mechanisms and not participating in lab tests. GData IS/TS suite is completely enough for relatively safe online users.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Notes of this test:
- This is a test of Business/Small Office Products -> usually they use older engine than the one in Home version
- These products are usually a bit more advanced in settings but users have to make some changes to utilize the added options
- Their performance test is unreliable to me. They use some criteria that do not really affect everyday usage like Size on disk (some may consider this), installation time, Security software update and security software scanning to evaluate the products
- Small office AVs are usually heavier than Home AVs from the same company (I used Kaspersky small business and Kaspersky Endpoint Protection in the past. Performance Impact: Endpoint >>> Small Office >> Kaspersky Internet Security
Kaspersky small office was very buggy for me for unknown reasons. It used 1 version older than KIS

Where are: Copying speed, launching time of common apps (only firefox in their test), time of opening office files, pdfs, download speed, time of opening some websites and resource usage while doing these tasks???...
these matter

AV-comparatives is better on evaluating software performance

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Might be many reasons involved , if a security vendor is not participating in some lab tests!.

For ex: Consider this test, F secure / Avira itself has lot of variations across some detection boards by a lot inspite of same signatures and AVK.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.