MRG Effitas MRG Effitas 360 Assessment & certification Q3 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The full report:

Important charts for the home users
Q3_2019_In_the_Wild_360.png

F_Q3_2019_In_the_Wild_360.png

P_Q3_2019_In_the_Wild_360.png

One test means nothing, so I made a short report that includes the data from all three quarters in the year 2019.
Two categories were skipped: Ransomware and Exploit/Fileless. In the first category, all AVs blocked all Ransomware samples in the year 2019. The second is not relevant for the home users, because it was performed with highly vulnerable & unpatched (for years) software (this test can be relevant for enterprises and organizations).

Missed on first detection (number of samples: malware 1053, financial 265, PUA/Adware 25)
Symantec............0/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25.............= 1
Kaspersky...........0/1053 + 0/265 + 2/25.............= 2
Eset....................1/1053 + 0/265 + 2/25..............= 3
BitDefender.........1/1053 + 0/265 + 6/25.............= 7
Avira....................3/1053 + 1/265 + 3/25.............= 7
CrowdStrike.......7/1053 + 1/265 + 5/25..............= 13
Defender.............12/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25...........= 13
F-Secure.............10/1053 + 2/265 + 8/25............= 20
Avast..................26/1053 + 20/265 + 1/25......... = 47
Trend Micro.......46/1053 + 17/265 + 7/25..........= 70

Still missed after 24h
Symantec........0/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25...............= 1
Kaspersky........0/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25..............= 1
Eset.................1/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25=.............= 2
F-Secure..........2/1053 + 0/265 + 1/25...............= 3
BitDefender.....1/1053 + 0/265 + 6/25..............= 7
Defender.........3/1053 + 0/265 + 0/25.............. = 3
Avira................3/1053 + 1/265 + 3/25.............. = 7
CrowdStrike....4/1053 + 0/265 + 4/25...............= 8
Trend Micro....17/1053 + 0/265 + 2/25.............= 19
Avast...............17/1053 + 14/265 + 1/25...........= 32

The best: Eset, Kaspersky, Symantec, BitDefender. The last has slightly too much missed PUA/Adware samples.

The good: Avira, CrowdStrike, Defender, F-Secure

The rest: Avast, TrendMicro

In the final scoring, the PUA/Adware was treated as less important than malware and financial samples.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The full report:

The best: Eset, Kaspersky, Symantec, BitDefender. The last has slightly too much missed PUA/Adware samples.

The good: Avira, CrowdStrike, Defender, F-Secure

The rest: Avast, TrendMicro

In the final scoring, the PUA/Adware was treated as less important than malware and financial samples.

Thanks Andy.

Concur with PUPs/PUAs being given less weight. While it's good for an AV to detect them, there are other ways, other tools... maybe not the AVs most important task.

1575240211706.png

PUA Misses

The Exploit/fileless samples test (not shown in OP) was also interesting, giving Norton & Kaspersky rare misses.

Crowdstrike is like Cylance. They are good at what they do. They are just best not used stand-alone.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Defender and the Exploit/Fileless test.
Unfortunately, MRG Effitas uses Windows 7 and Windows 10 in this test, even when in the methodology section only Windows 7 is mentioned. There is no way to know from the report, how many samples require Windows 10. Of course, the samples which were run on Windows 7 cannot be stoped by Defender, because it is not an antivirus (only anti-spyware engine is present). In the Exploit/Fileless test, Windows 7 is used because it is a common Windows version in organizations and enterprises. As we can see from several reports, the operating systems/software in organizations and enterprises are vulnerable to exploits which were patched years ago (like Eternal Blue used in WannaCry).
Anyway, in MRG Effitas 360 Degree Assessment & Certification tests the AV premium versions are tested (except Defender), which often have anti-exploit modules, so they can protect better than Defender on Windows 10 with default settings. In the Exploit/Fileless test, Defender could compete with premium AVs only with activated advanced settings, especially ASR rules.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Andy Ful sum it all, this is one if the reason i despise test labs, flawed or biased methodologies, just marketing proxies for vendors.

About WD, everyone knows, it won't do well against fileless malware, by default it is just a RT scanner, to be a valid test , Win10 enterprise should be used with the ATP and Exploit Protection feature.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ha, ha. It is always nice if your favorite horse wins 3 races in a single quarter of the year, even if it is a pure coincidence. The opposite situation is not nice, even if you know that it is probably a coincidence, too.:)
That is why some smart people invented statistics to make people less happy and less unhappy.:sneaky:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Ha, ha. It is always nice if your favorite horse wins 3 races in a single quarter of the year, even if it is a pure coincidence. The opposite situation is not nice, even if you know that it is probably a coincidence, too.:)
That is why some smart people invented statistics to make people less happy and less unhappy.:sneaky:
I know I know. I'm just saying ESET did a good job in this test. I'm not shouting, "East or West, ESET is the best" 😂

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I know I know. I'm just saying ESET did a good job in this test. I'm not shouting, "East or West, ESET is the best" 😂
I was proud when Poland played very well in football Euro 2016, even if I knew that by coincidence most Polish players were in perfect shape again after 40 years, and this could not last long.:)(y)
By the way, ESET scores very well in MRG Effitas tests. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.