Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What is better in terms of protection and resources usage between these two?
Both products are in general light in system resources. I 've read people's opinions about their preference between them over the internet and they are mixed. I always believed that WSA is better (virus removal is said to be quick via support if WSA misses a malware) so I want to hear your opinions as I can have WSA antivirus for 6 months (promotion) or just leave MSE enabled with the other Windows 8 security features enabled. I choose those two as they don't slow down PC performance. ESET which was installed in trial until some hours ago dissapointed me as there were problems with the icon and notifications.
Thank you!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I assume since WSA likely implemented through Cloud then there's a possibility of boost detection.

While MSE with their SmartScreen Filter gathers good protection even zero day as provides for about 90% above.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What's most important to me is infections from websites (drive-by, exploits etc). Thank you jamescv7..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Exploits take advantage of a vulnerability in the software. So those generally can be prevented, if you keep your software updated and current.

Drive-by-downloads don't execute by themselves, it's the user who does. So if you run it, you can't blame the software. ;)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
Exploits take advantage of a vulnerability in the software. So those generally can be prevented, if you keep your software updated and current.

Drive-by-downloads don't execute by themselves, it's the user who does. So if you run it, you can't blame the software. ;)
There can be undetected/unpatched vulnerabilities in even updated software as I know. When talking about drive-by downloads I mean stuff like hidden iframes etc.. By the way, can files that are downloaded via this way and executed, be blocked via UAC?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would say Windows 8 Defender, but I haven't tried WSA so I would have to try that first before I come down to any conclusions.

D

Deleted member 178

that is normal Win8 defender and all the security built-in Win8 give very good protection with few/no harassment.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Wikipedia said:
It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase or elevation. In this way, only applications trusted by the user may receive administrative privileges, and malware should be kept from compromising the operating system. In other words, a user account may have administrator privileges assigned to it, but applications that the user runs do not inherit those privileges unless they are approved beforehand or the user explicitly authorizes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

To answer your question;
You can try UAC for yourself, by running some trusted applications (ie. CCleaner) that require administrative privileges. Observe what happens.

Nikos751 said:
By the way, can files that are downloaded via this way and executed, be blocked via UAC?

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
Wikipedia said:
It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase or elevation. In this way, only applications trusted by the user may receive administrative privileges, and malware should be kept from compromising the operating system. In other words, a user account may have administrator privileges assigned to it, but applications that the user runs do not inherit those privileges unless they are approved beforehand or the user explicitly authorizes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

To answer your question;
You can try UAC for yourself, by running some trusted applications (ie. CCleaner) that require administrative privileges. Observe what happens.

Nikos751 said:
By the way, can files that are downloaded via this way and executed, be blocked via UAC?
I understand what do you want me to notice and thank you for the info. My concern is if UAC can block executables created in system folders (Windows temp, system 32 etc) when they 'll try to execute themselves. Sorry if my question is silly.. Here is an example of what case I 'm trying to explain http://blog.novirusthanks.org/2009/03/analysis-of-a-website-infected-with-a-hidden-iframe/

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
jamescv7 said:
If that situation UAC may fail then a virtualization could rescue it as nothing could pose serious threat.

What are the possibilities for UAC to fail in such situation?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bypass its UAC notification when changes occur even in default settings since every changes must pop up for the administration request from its request.

Exploits are caused on newly vulnerabilities occurred.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Bypass its UAC notification when changes occur even in default settings since every changes must pop up for the administration request from its request.

Exploits are caused on newly vulnerabilities occurred.

You mean that usually UAC will prompt in such circumstances, right?

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks! I don't understand why people turn it off and install bloated AV products which many of them cannot reach the level of protection UAC can offer if the use knows some basic things..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Annoying; one of the reason could tell it and from myriad users they prefer to turn off.

Also our knowledge regarding security are totally different from a basic user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.