Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What is better in terms of protection and resources usage between these two?
Both products are in general light in system resources. I 've read people's opinions about their preference between them over the internet and they are mixed. I always believed that WSA is better (virus removal is said to be quick via support if WSA misses a malware) so I want to hear your opinions as I can have WSA antivirus for 6 months (promotion) or just leave MSE enabled with the other Windows 8 security features enabled. I choose those two as they don't slow down PC performance. ESET which was installed in trial until some hours ago dissapointed me as there were problems with the icon and notifications.
Thank you!

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Annoying; one of the reason could tell it and from myriad users they prefer to turn off.

Also our knowledge regarding security are totally different from a basic user.
You 're absolutely right.. Annoying or not the novice user with probably click "yes" when UAC asks for permission because he 'll have in his back of his mind that UAC just annoys him when installing a program or changing a setting. At first, all this makes me think that MS has failed in this field. On the other hand malware is very smart these days and it's not easy to integrate to UAC some kind of auto-decide mechanism without FP's etc; it will cause lots of complaints. Also, it's almost impossible for the novice user not to get infected some time despite having X Internet Security installed so he can't say "Microsoft cannot protect your PC while X vendor can". For novice users it's nearly the same having 3rd party security apps or native windows features and apps for protection. Of course repplacing Windows Defender with a really better AV has a better result but again the novice user will possibly leave it outdated 'cause the autoupdate function is disabled (you 'll never know the reason why :p), or the license is not active or ... This does not happen in majority of ocassions with WD.
The only thing MS could do is making Windows Defender a little better and maybe achieving quicker reaction time to Windows related vulnerabilities.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may check this configuration:

original

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.