Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If someone has used both, could the Pros and Cons be listed in comparison to MSE?

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
MSE--very light, small download, plays well with other software, easy to use. But--has some problems with protecting your computer.
Bit defender Free--even lighter, micro-download, set it/forget it, has behavior blocker, URL filter may be best of the class. But--keep hearing it quarantines safe files, but it does have an unblock option for quarantined files. Fully automatic operation may put off geek-types.

DTech28

Verified
Apr 13, 2013
I cannot comment on Bit Defender Free, but Microsoft Security Essentials is good. It lacks some protection, specially if you are use to complete products, but still good.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I am using MSE a long time. I don't have any bad word. It's currently lighter on resources than BD, has very good detection, and auto removal feature, that is very handy...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They are both pretty basic AV as bitdefender free rely on cloud based. But the built in security of Smartscreen kicks off a lot for prevention in IE and desktop.

Pretty light on the system since everything is simple.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Well with Windows 8 I thought I could trust Windows defender (MSE) but after seeing the bad reviews and it's horrible detection rates I've moved to avast! free. But between these two choices I would defiantly go with Bitdefender free since they obviously have way better signatures than MSE does and I think it's also lighter on system resources as well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With the issues I faced with the full Bitdefender product and stories (ie. feedback) from others using Bitdefender Free, I would definately use Microsoft Security Essentials. As said, very good signatures with very low FPs (according to tests) and minimal user interaction when dealing with infected files.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Earth said:
With the issues I faced with the full Bitdefender product and stories (ie. feedback) from others using Bitdefender Free, I would definately use Microsoft Security Essentials. As said, very good signatures with very low FPs (according to tests) and minimal user interaction when dealing with infected files.

And it keeps better and better with every new version :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Completely shocked with the votes for BitDefender Free.

It is posted all of the web in many security forums about all of the problems it has caused with users and all of the bugs still not fixed.

MSE is much better product, in fact concerning free AV that cause the most problems with users is BitDefender Free, it would be at the very bottom of the list of free AV's.

MSE never has false positives, never cause system errors, never deletes or quarantine safe files and never has compatibility issues with other software.

I believe most of the members voting for BitDefender Free only considered one factor, the detection rate supposedly got on AV testing sites.

Detection rate is not important when a product has this many problems.

Problems caused by BitDefender products are worse than getting an infection.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: Raul90

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/307816-microsoft-security-essentials-tanks-another-antivirus-test
Click on the Dennis Labs link.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/307816-microsoft-security-essentials-tanks-another-antivirus-test
Click on the Dennis Labs link.

That info has already been posted before on another thread.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Microsoft-Security-Essentials-fails-another-test?highlight=%22microsoft+security+essentials%22

Thanks.:D

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
People get to understand that protection isn't vital component of any security product, at least in my opinion. After all, antiviruses will not always have specific malware in their database, so malware can easily slip by undetected.

I didn't get infected for years, so I install Antivirus only precautionary. That's why "my" antivirus has to be light on resources, not to have FP's, to be fast and silent in removing malware, and to have decent option and fast install/uninstall if possibly without restart.

So my list by importance:
- resource usage and system startup slowdown
- minimal FP's
- protection (good detection of new samples)
- fast and silent removal of eventual malware (you probaly remember how MSE needed a lot of time to remove one simple file, thankfully that is now fixed.)
- options, easy and fast install/uninstall

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes users couldn't leave for the line called "best among the rest" so basically they rely for it and those companies used test results as advertisements to lure users.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
While Microsoft Security Essentials has it's own weak points, I would chose any day this product instead of Bitdefender Antivirus Free, mainly because Bitdefender Free has no real features.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free is nothing more than a very simple antivirus engine, it does not have any kind of features, and furthermore it lacks some basic control features.
attachment.php

Bitdefender Antivirus Free user interface the size of a Windows widget. Seriously, why would you have something like this installed on your computer?
No Behavior Blocker, no Sandbox, no HIPS or File Reputation system...basically this product is just a very simple antivirus engine.
Furthermore, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition lacks some very basic options like the possibility of performing a system scan, exclude a folder from scanning, and the lack of a Quarantine feature, which make this product useless.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Ah, but it does have a behaviour monitor/blocker. And, it no longer deletes quarantined files. I'm using MSE on desktop, Bitdefender on the laptop, both are running fine here. Will post any issues that come up.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've mentioned before from another thread that Bitdefender Free does have quarantine feature but the rest are really none. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.