Battle MSE or Bitdefender Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I think the problem is the polls showing on the portal page, members simply will vote and never once visit the thread to get any info.

Many users will only go by what is posted to AV testing sites and never even try the other products for themselves to see how it functions.

Jack could you please remove the polls from the Portal page?

This is not the only one either it applies to almost all polls.
I wished there was a way to require a commit before voting.

Votes without any commits are useless.

Thanks.:D

S

starchild76

TwinHeadedEagle said:
People get to understand that protection isn't vital component of any security product, at least in my opinion. After all, antiviruses will not always have specific malware in their database, so malware can easily slip by undetected.

I didn't get infected for years, so I install Antivirus only precautionary. That's why "my" antivirus has to be light on resources, not to have FP's, to be fast and silent in removing malware, and to have decent option and fast install/uninstall if possibly without restart.

So my list by importance:
- resource usage and system startup slowdown
- minimal FP's
- protection (good detection of new samples)
- fast and silent removal of eventual malware (you probaly remember how MSE needed a lot of time to remove one simple file, thankfully that is now fixed.)
- options, easy and fast install/uninstall

you exactly hit the spot with this comment! why do you want to slow down your system , with bloated suites wich are often way over priced , while you are well protected with mse! justv use your brain when surfing the net , many years of experience and trails and errors will keep you safe and keep mse just in case :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For most voting, valid comments are to be counted as part of verification and polls are just optional.

Opinions, examples, and many more are way to encourage the users to try and test it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Likewise, MSE is fast (1 minute quick scan), lightweight (minimal slowdowns and conflicts) and powerful (MAPS, minimal interaction, daily updates). :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ams963 said:
Bitdefender free AV hands down. It's faster, lighter and more powerful.

Faster and more powerful at finding false positives, lighter? not on the three system that I tried it on. Not to mention MSE is fully compatible with Windows and all installed software. MSE has more features is not stripped down free version of a paid product. On-demand scans are much faster with MSE.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its faster and lighter is due to Cloud Based but the effectiveness isn't gradual.

Say its capable on detection but not in prevention being a simple AV.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
ams963 said:
Bitdefender free AV hands down. It's faster, lighter and more powerful.

I don't think so. My computer boot faster with MSE than Bitdefender. RAM usage is bigger too. Not to mention large collection of bugs, that makes it nearly unusable...

Binload

Verified
Apr 21, 2013
Every system reacts differently to any given product.

Both Microsoft security essentials and Bitdefender free are light on some systems and a bit problematic on others.

One thing some users seem to now compare is the rebranded version of Microsoft security essentials. If we compare the one in windows 7 and the one in windows 8, there are some slight improvements.

Also, quick scan being fast, does not mean full scan and removal is fast.

As for false positives, any vendor will have them.

Simply locking down a vendor due to false positives and critique and put down such application is not really helping the vendor is it?

Nomad

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
Last time I used a bitdefender product it messed up my computer, slowed it down a lot. Never had a problem using MSE...it's mmuch better.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender (Windows 8) has done away with Scheduled Scans, but still can be performed on-demand (from the Home tab). It makes sense, because if WD is running in Real-time, the threat will be stopped there and then.

You could say it's an improvement making the product more streamlined, but others may complain that it lacks configuration. For me, I don't mind saying goodbye to scheduled scans, as I've never really liked the idea of them.

Full scans are never fast. If they were, you'd be questioning what happened -"2 minute full scan, something is wrong?!"- and most likely submit a bug report. Removal for MSE has improved since the earlier versions, and with Windows 8 release there is very little user interaction required. Although for PUP/Adware, you're still asked what to do.

Binload said:
One thing some users seem to now compare is the rebranded version of Microsoft security essentials. If we compare the one in windows 7 and the one in windows 8, there are some slight improvements.

Tony Aviles

Jan 5, 2015
I use MSE for WIN7 Pro x64 and this "Stylene.net" malware/redirecter got past it....McAfee Site Advisor now blocks Stylene.net from taking me to a bad site, BUT I wanna know how to get rid of this?....Scans come up clean

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I had very bad experience with Both of them. But I need to admit that I liked the Defender in Windows 8.1 which works very good along with Smartscreen.

So my vote if for MSE.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Thanks man....I don't know why MS didn't make a Defender for Win7, i'd like to have it

There is a defender in WIn7 but thats not good. You can try MSE in Win7 which is basically the same as Win8's defender.

P.S. - I missed your post where you mentioned you are using MSE in win7 :p

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I use MSE for WIN7 Pro x64 and this "Stylene.net" malware/redirecter got past it....McAfee Site Advisor now blocks Stylene.net from taking me to a bad site, BUT I wanna know how to get rid of this?....Scans come up clean

Scan your computer with few on-demans scanners.

1. HerdProtect
2. emsisoft Emergency Kit
3. Malwarebytes Antimalware Free
4. HitMan pro.
5. AdwCleaner ( to remove nasty adwares)

I fixed many friend's computer with these 5 scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.